Author Topic: Wire crate advice  (Read 1330 times)

Hondos Human

• Fully Weaned
Wire crate advice
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
Hello,

We've decided to go with a wire crate for Hondo. A couple of questions...

1. There seems to be some discrepancy as to which size is best suited for a Boxer. 36"Lx23"Wx25"H vs. 42"Lx28"Wx30"H. What size would you recommend?

2. We're considering fold-and-carry crates from three different brands... MidWest Homes for Pets, Kennel-Aire, and a "Gorilla Tough" Classic Crate.

The MidWest "Life Stages" and "Select" series crates seem like decent, mid-level crates for a good price. The Kennel-Aire and Gorilla Tough crates seem to be considered more high-end and the cost reflects that quality. The latter two both have stronger wire with smaller openings in the mesh. They also have cam-locks which may come in handy, although I'm not sure if they're necessary. Has anyone had experience with any of these crates?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
S

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Wire crate advice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
I went with the second larges crate for Beas I believe it is the 42" length crate.  I would get one that has a divider so that you can limit the area of the crate for the pup.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
The height you need will depend on your pup's parents - how tall are they? how much do they weight? While there can be variation, it's a fairly good indicator of what tall/big your pup will be at adulthood. 

Both my pups are the tall end of the scale and a 36" is a little snug for them.. my female could manage an overnight, but my male would be too cramped. But most people I've asked here have 36" crates, so I suspect a pup with more responsible breeding behind it would be more likely to fit that size.

I have a Midwest and like it. I would definitely get the LifeStages version, because you want to be able to control crate size until the pup is potty trained. If you put most pups in a full-sized adult crate, they'll pee in one end and sleep in the other.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
We have a pair of Midwest life stages. Door side and end. They are good crates for resonable money at the right retailer. They are way overpriced in many spots. I would recommend the 42. Use the divider as the pup grows. Should last a good long time.

Hint. Put a piece of cardboard the size of the tray between tray and wire. It keeps the tray from stress cracks after years of use. Once they crack the dog can get at it and destroy it, if in the mood.  :laugh4:
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
I bet the 36" would fit...I can get my 2 littles in one that size, don't do it often but in a pinch...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »
we bought a 36" midwest crate (double door) for Sophia when she was a pup. We now use it as Strummer's travel crate. She's not a crate dog (does fine free roam and freaks if crated).

Strummer has a 42" heavy duty double door (galvanized) crate we got on super sale at Pet Food warehouse for about $100 bucks. Both crates came with a divider and we moved them back as they grew. The 42" in nice so they have more room once they are potty trained but they do take up a lot more space in you house and it's barely fits in my car (unless I have the seats adjusted right). Strummer fits fine in the 36" but if you have the room, I'd go with the 42".

Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »
My two are small and I find that the 36" is fine. 

BoxMeIn21

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:26:02 PM »
I love the Midwest Life Stages - Rowdy is almost four and his crate has stood the test of teenage boxerhood and is still standing.

I actually bought the biggest one at 48" (by mistake) and I am glad now that I didn't go smaller because he grew up to be a very tall boxer. If you go with the life stages, you get a divider so you can adjust his room as he grows.

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »
Hint. Put a piece of cardboard the size of the tray between tray and wire. It keeps the tray from stress cracks after years of use. Once they crack the dog can get at it and destroy it, if in the mood.  :laugh4:

good suggestion E. I think i have a 36" i got off craigslist for $20 ;D the tray just got destroyed, so now hes got a slab of stone in there. i think i will eventually get him a 42"
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
I have 2 mid west , both with slide bolt latches . One is 12-13 years old and still in good shape . It is a heavier one than the life stages and has a metal tray . I also have a midwest life stages about 4 years old and it is still in great shape , but if the dog was rough and wanted out I do not think it would hold up for a long time .
My third is a general cage with spring latch . I hate the spring latches , I always pinched my fingers . The crate itself is about 10 yrs old is a heavier wirg than the life stages and is still in good shape except for 1 broken welded area  on the latch .

All mine are the 36" , I have had no problems with any of mine fitting in them . My tallest boxer was 24" at the shoulder .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
I really like the thicker wire ones, that are sturdy....  Cass has seperation anxiety so he needs a strong crate.  JJ is in a plastic carrier crate,  Aggie is in a HUGE crate (which I wish I hadn't bought one so large, it takes up so much space)......

I considered having hubby make a permanent crate in the basement (for an in case I need an extra) out of  rebar, I saw a plan for it, and thought about it for Cass.... since he destroys almost every crate I have ever bought for him.   He did do ok in the carrier crate (plastic)....  If he can't see then he is OK....
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Hondos Human

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and and advice. Sounds like a MidWest crate is a good place to start until we see what kind of guy Hondo develops into. Perhaps we'll play it safe and go with the 42". I'd rather him have more room than not enough.  ;D

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

good suggestion E. I think i have a 36" i got off craigslist for $20 ;D the tray just got destroyed, so now hes got a slab of stone in there. i think i will eventually get him a 42"
You can get a replacement tray for your existing one.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07