Author Topic: Taping natural ears  (Read 3763 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Taping natural ears
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
I like them and I don't like them. They can help and hinder the overall expression of the head - I think Dash's nicely laying ears show that he's thinking a lot more than Xena's.  Xena's ears are wonky enough that they are limited in how they move and how easily you can see the differences.

If you looked in our Show Offs section under Forum Fun Photo Contest, you'll see that we definitely have a soft spot for wonky ears.  :smitten:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

reevz

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »
I like them and I don't like them. They can help and hinder the overall expression of the head - I think Dash's nicely laying ears show that he's thinking a lot more than Xena's.  Xena's ears are wonky enough that they are limited in how they move and how easily you can see the differences.

If you looked in our Show Offs section under Forum Fun Photo Contest, you'll see that we definitely have a soft spot for wonky ears.  :smitten:

Wait....I guess I should ask...what's meant by "wonky" ears anyway? I'm new to this lingo I guess...haha. Is it ears that are high up on the head, like my Oscar's (in my avatar)? Or is it when you can see the inner part and the flap doesn't cover them?? And when do you know when your boxer's ears are done changing?

Got Boxer

• Potty Trained
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »

Wait....I guess I should ask...what's meant by "wonky" ears anyway? I'm new to this lingo I guess...haha. Is it ears that are high up on the head, like my Oscar's (in my avatar)? Or is it when you can see the inner part and the flap doesn't cover them?? And when do you know when your boxer's ears are done changing?

I guess I'm confused on the "wonky" ears, too. Are you meaning like this?

Personally I think that they are cute that way.
~*Nichole*~
Mom to Remington

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
Yes, those ears are wonky.  "Wonky" refers to pretty much any ears that aren't laying like they are supposed to.  I would consider Oscar's ears to be wonky, too.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »
Wonky ears are ears that aren't laying nicely.  It isn't so much about placement as it is about what they are 'doing' - trying to stand when they aren't cropped, winging off to the sides, etc.  The ears stop changing when the cartelige stops changing, which is supposedly around 14 mos or so.  

Jen (Newcastle) owns Emma who has nice natural ears:

They lay flat, close to the head, with a slight dent/crease at the top.

My girl, Xena, has wonky ears - not the craziest, but incorrect for sure:

They are standing slightly up at the base, you can see inside them when they are relaxed (though that's not a requirement) and their shape doesn't show up right, even though the basic shape is the same as Emma's ears.

Then there is the winner of our wonkiest ear contest:

Folding/creasing the opposite way, sitting on top of his head, all kinds of crazy.  :smitten:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Got Boxer

• Potty Trained
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
Wow those are some crazy ears, but very cute. Thanks for the help!!
~*Nichole*~
Mom to Remington

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 12:21:54 AM »
I hate wonky ears and Jetta's drive me crazy, lol...but I wouldn't give her up for the world.

reevz

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
Heehee....those pictures are so adorable! that one puppy with the super crazy ears is amazingly cute!

Aww...I love Oscar's ears all high like that! Makes me laugh! I wonder what they'll turn into when he's finally done growing. I know what you mean about when they sit back and you can see the inside...that's weird (but still cute). This picture is my favorite of his ears....(he's the dog on the right).

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
I have one of each too.  I massaged Bugsy's ears form the tine he was 8 weeks and they are still wonky.
Capone has perfect ears.  Never taped and rarely massaged.
You can see the difference in this pic
Vicky

reevz

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
I have one of each too.  I massaged Bugsy's ears form the tine he was 8 weeks and they are still wonky.
Capone has perfect ears.  Never taped and rarely massaged.
You can see the difference in this pic

How do you massage them??

bburn rover

• Fully Weaned
  • Livin' with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Matt
Louie - 11/15/2008

Ellie 04/08/2005 ~ 12/08/2008

reevz

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
How do you massage them??

http://raevon.net/MASSAGE.html

Good luck...   :fingerscrossed: 

That's very helpful, thanks! Oscar has really big ears, so maybe his will fall nicely when he's older...:fingerscrossed: