Author Topic: deaf boxer  (Read 2387 times)

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
  • Kiss me Hulk or I won't let you up!!
deaf boxer
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »
There is a local park here that should be called Boxer park...on any given day you can see up to 5 boxers!! Well, yesterday I was out there and was talking with another boxer mom...it turns out that she works for the Austin Boxer rescue and well we have been probing around different avenues about getting a white boxer...We are going to get a flashy brindle(hopefully) from a breeder and want to adopt a white boxer to complete our insanity!! :dizzy2:
Anyway, this lady was talking to me about volunteering etc..."duty to the breed" which she is right but I made the mistake of telling her I wanted a white boxer....She said two 12 week white puppies were up for adoption and one of them is deaf(the other has a contract pending)...I have not met a  deaf dog and don't really know much about it...Obviously whom ever adopts that dog is going to get special training...but I just wondered if any of you have ever had a deaf boxer and how you handled that??
Hubby tried to stop me from looking at her on-line but I sneaked and did it....AWWWWW she is so cute...What if no one adopts her b/c of her special needs??? I feel like it was fate but I know nothing about being a mom to dog that is deaf...I shouldn't have looked at her b/c now I can't get her out of my mind!!
PS sorry hope this was the right place to post!
Our days our long we eat, sleep, wrestle, sleep and do all over.
Hulk and Storm

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
Re: deaf boxer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »
I had a deaf dog when I was in middle school, He wasn't a boxer but its still will give you a good idea on how training goes. He was a lab mix and we just trained him with hand signals. It was actually easier to train a deaf puppy than it was a hearing one because the deaf ones pay more attention to you because they don't hear any distractions. He also did excellent with the other dogs because he kind of relied on them to be his ears. We were told Tank was deaf when we adopted him and he's not..... he just doesnt like listening LOL Good luck if you decide to adopt a little egg head. Deaf dogs rely on you alot to know how to act in situations too.... and they follow you around a lot when you're home. Other than that they're like any other dog! ;D
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL
ALEC AND ANYA THE SKIN KIDS :)

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:48:42 PM »
Heather, from what I've read on this forum, a deaf boxer isn't much different that a hearing one!  The rescues usually require the deaf pup to go to a home with a hearing dog, so it can watch the other dog for cues.  If ANYONE would be a wonderful mom for a deaf boxer baby, YOU WOULD!!!  If the opportunity ever comes my way, I'll grab one in a heartbeat!  Go for it!  Lucky you!!!! I'm jealous!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Waylon and Zoes Mom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »
Isn't Pearl deaf?  Never had a deaf dog, but I'm sure many of our members have great resources.  Here's a link I had bookmarked when I was reading about training deaf dogs.

http://www.deafdogs.org/
Heather~Mom to:
Waylon, Zoe, & Gizmo

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »
One of my foster puppies was deaf, I miss my little radar :(  But he is now living happily in a lovely home with a great family, and from what I hear is the toast of the block ;) there are a few differences in training a deaf dog. The big one is the recall ;)  cause they cant hear. My trainer taught me the trick to teach this, so if you do get the little girl, I would be happy to share the information with you.

If we (dog owners) would train all our dogs as if they are deaf, we would have better behaved dogs and easier time at training. Dogs don;t know english, they base everything off your body language, The difference in training deaf dogs is YOU are more concious of your body language since you can not rely on verbal commands ;)  I would say, GO FOR IT! It is so worth the effort......and at least this way you have a valid excuse for them not listening, unlike the rest of us ::)
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:24 AM »
Okay now you guys get to see how incredibly cute she is http://www.austinboxerrescue.com/Adoption/Darla/darla.html

I am going to do some research this weekend!! You guys have given some great thoughts...thanks :smitten: Randi, good call I talked to one of the ladies and they are not 100% sure she is deaf...
I am thinking about going and getting her then putting her in the backyard and say, "Oh look hubby somebody got us a present"...Hehe
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:40:05 AM by Hulk »
Hulk and Storm

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:50:42 AM »
Okay now you guys get to see how incredibly cute she is http://www.austinboxerrescue.com/Adoption/Darla/darla.html

I am going to do some research this weekend!! You guys have given some great thoughts...thanks :smitten: Randi, good call I talked to one of the ladies and they are not 100% sure she is deaf...
I am thinking about going and getting her then putting her in the backyard and say, "Oh look hubby somebody got us a present"...Hehe
OMG  :smitten: I'm in love! How incredibly adorable AWWWWW! I said that really loud and woke Nick up... OOOPS LOL  :smitten: She is just too cute. You have to get her! Tank hears too many little things around the house to be deaf.... he just has selective hearing as I like to put it.... Although I don't contribute the selective hearing to him being a white boxer..... I contribute it more to him being a man LOL ;D
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:07:34 AM »
heehee ;D

She looks like the female version of Tank... :smitten:
Hulk and Storm

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 01:18:01 AM »
heehee ;D

She looks like the female version of Tank... :smitten:
I didn't have Tank when he was that little.... I wonder what he looked like. Tank was already 5 months old when I got him  :blank:
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
Awwww, she's sweet! As I understand it, deaf dogs can be trained just as well as other dogs, but you use signs instead of verbal commands. Perhaps this puppy is only partially deaf? She is certainly cute!!
Amber

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:24 AM »
She is soooo cute! Good luck with your decision!
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
Deaf dogs are really easy to train with the use of hand signals.    I went to a seminar at the kennel club about deaf dogs.   However,  a deaf dog or puppy will thrive with the help of another pup who can be its ears.   So congrats!   She is beautiful, and good luck:)
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:53:13 AM »
Jeeepers - she's CUTE!  That face is just adorable!  :smitten: I bet Hulk will be SUCH a good big bro' too!  I can't wait until you get on here and tell us you have her in your hot little hands!!!!! 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Scout and Gunners Mom

• Socialized
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
Wow! What a cutie pie  :smitten:  Good luck in your decisions....keep us posted!
Shirley<br />Mom to Scout & Gunner

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »
Now how cute is that face??? She is gorgeous!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&