Author Topic: Finding a show puppy  (Read 1368 times)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Finding a show puppy
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
I was just wondering what were the main things to look for when finding a breeder to get a show puppy from.  I would like to try my hand at showing sometime in the future (not too near!) Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. 

I've decided I either would like a dark/reverse brindle male or a plain fawn male to show.  I know about health testing and such, but what is different between a show puppy and a pet puppy?  What length health guarantee should their be?  What should the agreement be - co-ownership, puppy back, etc.?  I just wondered what was different between acquiring a pet puppy and acquiring a show puppy.

I haven't done too much research, but I just came across this breeder from Maryland and it just struck a cord with me.  I read the beginnings of their program and it just broke my heart.  Of course, I'd ask them all the questions about health tests (they do mention them though) and such, and see if we clicked, etc., but I just wondered what you guys thought.
http://www.witsendboxers.com/
Riley - 9/19/2008

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Finding a show puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »
I was just wondering what were the main things to look for when finding a breeder to get a show puppy from. 

Basically, someone whose philosophies are in line with your own, someone you feel you can trust, and someone with whom you are comfortable forming a long-term relationship. :)

I know about health testing and such, but what is different between a show puppy and a pet puppy?  What length health guarantee should their be?  What should the agreement be - co-ownership, puppy back, etc.?

The difference between a show puppy and a pet puppy is generally structural, if not color-related (white, of course, or a mis-mark).  A show prospect, at the time of evaluation, has the potential to mature into an adult that closely conforms to the breed standard.  A pet puppy will have some physical trait that the breeder does not want to carry on to future generations, and sometimes also would hamper its chances in the show ring (a wry mouth, for example).  Usually these are minor, and often not noticeable to the "untrained" eye.  They typically don't affect the dog's quality or length of life.  (Occasionally there are temperamental or health-related reasons a dog would be removed from show potential, but these would be different than a typical "pet" puppy placement.)

You'd definitely want at least a two-year health guarantee, so that you could have the AS and HD clearances done.

Terms of a show-prospect sale will vary considerably from breeder to breeder (and even situation to situation with the same breeder).  Most important is to be sure you've discussed contingencies and are clear on all points, and that you're comfortable with the arrangement.  If you co-own a male (which is not quite as common as co-owning a female, but still no uncommon at all), you'd probably need to provide one or two free stud services to the breeder.  (I would want that to be a mutually-agreed-upon bitch, but I'm not sure I'd insist that it be one the breeder own.)  I've heard of some arrangements that are free stud service for life, which I personally find outrageous unless the dog was free and the breeder is footing the bill for all showing/health testing costs.  (Even then, I'm not sure about it.)  I've also heard of some where the breeder must approve all bitches bred to the dog; I've got mixed feelings about that, I'd rather see some general guidelines like health testing the bitch must have, terms that should be in the stud contract (no full registration of whites, spay/neuter on pet puppies, etc.), etc.  That's still a bit controlling, really, but I could see it as a kind of guidance thing for a neophyte.

(Sorry, rambling a bit here....I'll just reiterate that at the root of it all, your comfort with the breeder and the arrangement is the most important thing.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
I was just wondering what were the main things to look for when finding a breeder to get a show puppy from.  I would like to try my hand at showing sometime in the future (not too near!) Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road.

Well I would start looking at kennels who do show , look for dogs that are pleasing to you , go to the show's  and make friends with the breeders who have the dog you like .  

I've decided I either would like a dark/reverse brindle male or a plain fawn male to show.  I know about health testing and such, but what is different between a show puppy and a pet puppy?  What length health guarantee should their be?  What should the agreement be - co-ownership, puppy back, etc.?  I just wondered what was different between acquiring a pet puppy and acquiring a show puppy.

The differance between a Show hopeful and a pet  is the show pup will be closer to the standered then the pet pup .  Some breeders seem to think that All flashy pups will make show dogs   ::)  and all the plain pups will only be pets .   I am getting a Plain fawn male this weekend that I hope will make it to the ring and win .    Most health quarantees will last  2 years ......  Most Show pups will be on a Co-own only until the contact is fulfilled like if it is a bitch pup most if not all breeders will want a pup or 2  back in return .  For male show pups the breeder will want  free breeding's  .

Hope this helps you a little ...... 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:08:34 PM by Newcastle »
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:01:19 PM »
hmm...this is an interest topic. Our breeder sold us Beas without co-ownership.  We are required to nueter is we decide to stop showing him.  She did not impose any restrictions on studding when the time comes.  Do you think that might have been because she had the impression that we'd always keep in contact with her and she could advise us?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »
Heather, just edited the quote codes there. :)   
I am getting a Plain fawn male this weekend that I hope will make it to the ring and win .   

Ooh, exciting - is he one of Jess' Rusty's pups?

She did not impose any restrictions on studding when the time comes.  Do you think that might have been because she had the impression that we'd always keep in contact with her and she could advise us?

Could be.  :)  I know a number of breeders who don't use contracts at all, relying instead on their screening process and the relationship they develop with their buyers/co-owners. 
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:28:01 PM »
I have heard that flashies are easier to show in the US.  Brody's breeder had a flashy brindle that was going to a show home, she was keeping a flashy fawn to show, but the plain brindle girl was going to a show home and said she would be shown in Canada because they don't pick flashies like the US does.  I like flashies, but I love the look of a plain fawn with a semi-white chest. Very distinguished.

I will have to keep a look out for shows in my area and see if any good boxer breeders are going to be there.
Riley - 9/19/2008

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »
Heather, just edited the quote codes there. :)   
I am getting a Plain fawn male this weekend that I hope will make it to the ring and win .   

Ooh, exciting - is he one of Jess' Rusty's pups?

Oh sorry , I sometimes  have a hard time figuring out the quote thingy .LOL 

Yes , he is the plain fawn male .....  I sould be picking him up tonight or tomorrow morning ....    He is a doll baby .  :smitten:    I had my eye on him from the time he was born .  I just thought he was the best out of the whole litter ......  well  IMO . ::)   

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com