Author Topic: Starting Agility?  (Read 2681 times)

Christen83

• Socialized
Starting Agility?
« on: April 18, 2007, 02:55:16 PM »
What is the best age to start agility?

Where does the dog need to be obedience wise before starting agility?

What should we do even before starting agility class to prepar for agility?  Like pre-agility?

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: Starting Agility?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:38 PM »
What is the best age to start agility?

Anytime a dog is physically fit enough to get exercise.

Where does the dog need to be obedience wise before starting agility?

In a class setting:  Sit, Down, Come, Stay, the desire to hang out with you off lead, The ability to get into heel position, and the ability to set your dog up quickly-makes set ups easier, and basically sets the stage for you run.

What should we do even before starting agility class to prepar for agility?  Like pre-agility?

How much time do you have EVERY DAY to work on it?  5 minutes?  10?

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »
Everyday? - 10 minutes is very doable

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »
Have you done any clicker training?

Watch these clips (start with hind end awareness/down) and let me know if that is something you think you could work on -

http://web.mac.com/elonerga/iWeb/Site/AJ%20Training%20Videos.html

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
OK, that's the cutest thing ever.

Now, please excuse my ignorance  :)

So on the first video (hind end) the click is when the back legs hit the ball - but I'm not really giving any specific comands....?  Just getting him used to it?   Deffinately something we can work on.  We did some early clicker stuff but I'll probably need to get Bruce reaquainted since it's been a while, though this looks similar to "things to do with a box" which we've done before so he should pick up rather quickly.

Where can I get a ball like that?  And am I going to need a bigger one for my bigger boy?

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
but I'm not really giving any specific comands....?

No commands necessary - just like 101/box....

And am I going to need a bigger one for my bigger boy

You can get larger stability disks - they're sort of expensive - you could use the same type of board that was used in the second video only make that larger - it's called a buja board  - and most look like this:

http://www.mfrye.com/agilityeq/buja.html

I prefer to use something larger than a tennis ball - I don't have a picture of mine but it's a 3x3' board with a whole cut in it that a small jolly ball fits in and causes it to wobble around.

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »
We got a wobble board, he'll paw at it with either front paw and grab it with his mouth to drag but it's a no go with the hind feet.  Any suggestions to get him pointed the right direction?  Or just time and patience?

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »
How many times ("training sessions") have you tried it?

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:53:05 AM »
Last night was the first one.  I just wasn't sure if I should stop him from biting the board with and "ah-ah" or just let him do his thing to get used to it.  He seems to think its a big toy.

Thanks for the tips  ;D

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
He seems to think its a big toy.
It is a big toy  ;)

I'd work on a higher level of praise and reward for the paw - and try to really focus on that, trying to keep him from focusing on chewing it.

If you start seeing a pattern where he'd rather chew on it than play your game, then I'd step in and help.

madmare

• Just Whelped
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »
We won't allow dogs to start agility until they are at least a year old because of thier growing bones and joints, it can put undue strain on them and cause problems later in life.
Bigger breeds maybe a little later, although at 12 months they can start seeing and getting used to some of the equipment.