Author Topic: All clear except  (Read 1205 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
All clear except
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
Ok,  lets say you found a breeder who does show their dogs, they are health tested, blah blah blah but they only offer a one year Health Guarantee and all pups are sold on S/N Contrct - limited registration.

Does that make you walk away??

Or if you are really interested in the breeder, their lines can you maybe talk to them about maybe an extention on the H.G. to two years stating that you are aware that most dogs do not develop any genetic disorders until at least two?

But given the situation, you know you are not going to ask for a replacement pup after two years, so maybe nix the H.G. replacement pup and convert to maybe an expense reimbursement shall that happen?

I just really do not see if a pup is from a kennel that have proven to pass all aspects but offers a year guarantee for that to be a flag to walk away?

I know many will disagree with me, but if the dogs are health tested then most likely (not always guaranteed) you will get a healthy puppy.   I have no problems IMO for a pet puppy to have a one year guarantee.  If it were a show puppy, then yes, a two year is required.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: All clear except
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »
I personally am not overly concerned with a health guarantee. As I've said before, health testing and knowing the history of the lines is the best way to guarantee good health. But I do think a one-year health guarantee, more than anything, makes the breeder look bad. Either that they don't want to stand behind the health of their dogs, or they aren't aware of how long it takes for many of these conditions to become apparent.
Amber

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »
Thanks Bers.  I just e mailed Hanna's breeder as well as another and asked why on the one year?  I would just really be interested in their responses.

Maybe just a technical thing they may not be too educated on, or not too sure.

I do also know of a health testing kennel that offers a 6 months on Pet pups, and 2 year on show prospects in the ring or in Schz.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:47:30 AM »
The email I got from eagle creek boxers said he offers a 3 year guarantee.  I was happy to see that because I have learned on this forum that alot of issues will not come up unitl 2 years old at least.
Vicky

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
I don't think health garuntees are necessary.  I do however like to know that they will take the dog back if in the future I am unable to care for them be it for health expenses or other reasons.

I'm always more concerned with the health testing, temperment and show.

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »
I agree with Amber; I would ask why the one year, but if the health testing is there and has been for a few generations, I wouldn't make it a deal-breaker.  (One year in the absence of health testing would be - of course, really, there it's the absence of health testing that is the deal-breaker.)  There's such a huge variation in age at onset; two years is 'clearance' age for AS and hips, but honestly if the parents are screened it is unlikely (though not at all impossible) that the puppies will be affected to a degree that significantly affects their length or quality of life.  ARVC is the trickier thing - typical ages are something like 3, 5, and 8, so it's hard to say what the 'right' age for a guarantee is.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store