Author Topic: Puppy mill with 500 pregnant dogs in WA  (Read 3940 times)

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Puppy mill with 500 pregnant dogs in WA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
OMG....that's crazy.   :eek: :wall:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
OMG, this makes me sick.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
 :thumbsdown: Oh that is just wrong! How could authorities let things get this bad??? Someone had to have said something before it got to this point and I do realize that they are discussing three mills that they got these dogs from. Even so and average of 200 dogs per mill is way too many! That is just sick! :angry:

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
Egads, 1,500 puppiesm to be born and that's assuming each pregnant dog has only 3 in a litter. That's insane!  :eek:

Leanne - Too bad you live in an apt, I bet Po would love being the doting uncle to a litter of pups!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
Egads, 1,500 puppiesm to be born and that's assuming each pregnant dog has only 3 in a litter. That's insane!  :eek:

Leanne - Too bad you live in an apt, I bet Po would love being the doting uncle to a litter of pups!

ROFL Julia, that's Washington state! And Po would think it was great......for 5 minutes. Once they got to jumping on his head he'd be leaving.

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
I agree - horrible. . . But what the heck is with this statement?!

"You can see it on TV and go 'ooh' and 'aah,' but when you walk into something like this ... that's where the reality is," says Teresa Letellier, who took part in the dog rescues.

The reality?! This is the reality of where all puppies come from? Who is she trying to kid?  :veryangry:

The other part of the article that has me scratching my head is that they say that they took in 600 dogs, 500 of which are pregnant (nevermind the coincidence of nice round numbers), I'm a bit confused as to the sheer imbalance in numbers from bitches to dogs. If 500 were pregnant, and assuming that roughly 50 bitches weren't pregnant (either too young, too old, not in season, or just missed), that leaves 50 dogs. . . 50 dogs split among three kennels is 17 dogs per kennel. . . I saw quite a few breeds there. . . I can hardly believe that 17 males could offer stud support for over 500 bitches. Just doesn't add up.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

KidneyBeans

• Potty Trained
  • Camo & Stella
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »

"You can see it on TV and go 'ooh' and 'aah,' but when you walk into something like this ... that's where the reality is," says Teresa Letellier, who took part in the dog rescues.

I really do not see anything wrong with this statement....she is NOT talking about reputable breeders as yourself. She is talking about puppymills. It is an illusion that all rescuers hate breeders. That is just not the case....I've had over 113 fosters and yet I got Clay from a reputable breeder. I see nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is like Peta.

The reality?! This is the reality of where all puppies come from? Who is she trying to kid?  :veryangry:
She did not say this....she said this is the reality. I don't see why you are upset.  :no:

The other part of the article that has me scratching my head is that they say that they took in 600 dogs, 500 of which are pregnant (nevermind the coincidence of nice round numbers), I'm a bit confused as to the sheer imbalance in numbers from bitches to dogs. If 500 were pregnant, and assuming that roughly 50 bitches weren't pregnant (either too young, too old, not in season, or just missed), that leaves 50 dogs. . . 50 dogs split among three kennels is 17 dogs per kennel. . . I saw quite a few breeds there. . . I can hardly believe that 17 males could offer stud support for over 500 bitches. Just doesn't add up.

They always round....and not ALL of the dogs are housed at this facility. Good grief...other rescues and shelters have stepped up and helped by taking in many of the dogs. They are not lying just to get media coverage and donations...I don't believe they are giving false information out at all. Maybe sketchy about the numbers but unless you have been there and done that you have no idea what it is like.

Last year I was asked to be a part of an Oklahoma agency that raided puppymills here in OK. I know rescue people all over the country and they needed my contacts and trusted me. Never all the media coverage like this because the agency wouldn't allow it...We would befriend a puppymiller that had complaints and that would gain us access to their facility so we could gather information on the condition of the animals. I was only able to go on-site one time....that was it. I couldn't take anymore....you have never seen the filth, disgust and sorrow until you look at one of these poor dogs. The smell would make your eyes water and your stomach turn. After that one time I stuck to arranging reputable rescues to take in the various breeds.
When we were loading the stock trailers, vans, trucks and whatever else we could find with these poor animals, all the volunteers would be counting. It was like an assembly line of sorts. Pick up a dog out of the pen and hand it down the row. The last person loaded it into a crate and if it needed medical treatment right away a big red X was marked on the crate. After hours of loading more than 400 dogs, we drove to the facility that we had set up the previous day as our clinic of sorts. A vet had to examine each dog before releasing it to the rescue I had lined up for it. There were people that drove from Colorado and Illinois and all over the US. Vans of rescue people were parked outside and waiting for the dogs. I told them who was supposed to take what and some even offered to take more than planned....All were small breeds and all needed medical care. So when the lady made that statement....that is what she meant when she said "this is the reality". Nothing more and nothing less...
elisha, camo, stella & josh

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »
I can hardly believe that 17 males could offer stud support for over 500 bitches. Just doesn't add up.

Or that 500 bitches are all in season in a 2-month period.  I know females kept together will tend to cycle closely together, but even the three in my house are about eight weeks apart - I can't imagine 500 in a large kennel situation (three large kennels, in fact) would all be within an eight-week window.

And in fact, they aren't - the county animal control is reporting that only 20 of the females are pregnant:
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_012709WAB-puppy-mill-dogs-pregnant-SW.ba00a53.html

(Which is probably a bummer for the shelters; even at the low $140 per pup, that would be $210,000 income, not counting the adults.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

KidneyBeans

• Potty Trained
  • Camo & Stella
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
I can hardly believe that 17 males could offer stud support for over 500 bitches. Just doesn't add up.

Or that 500 bitches are all in season in a 2-month period.  I know females kept together will tend to cycle closely together, but even the three in my house are about eight weeks apart - I can't imagine 500 in a large kennel situation (three large kennels, in fact) would all be within an eight-week window.

And in fact, they aren't - the county animal control is reporting that only 20 of the females are pregnant:
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_012709WAB-puppy-mill-dogs-pregnant-SW.ba00a53.html

(Which is probably a bummer for the shelters; even at the low $140 per pup, that would be $210,000 income, not counting the adults.)

That may very well be true but why is the shelter being made out to be the bad guy here??? They are the ones caring for the animals....I don't see them sitting in their own filth anymore...do you? Who cares if they get $140.00 for a puppy...When I helped set up the rescue, we charged an adoption fee of $200.00 per puppy. Shots, worming, food, care, and spayed/neutered them all prior to adoption. As you know...caring for puppies isn't cheap. I've had two rescued litters in my home and OMG...all the cleaning and vet visits. Most shelters do the same for the pups they get in...if not send them on a spay/neuter contract. The same as most reputable breeders do with pet quality pups...except the shelter will prepay for the sterilizations. The person just takes the voucher to the vet. $140.00 is not too much to ask...

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
Who's making the shelter out to be the bad guy?  I simply stated - unclearly, at that - that the 1,500 puppies would have been $210,000 income for the shelters, which is bound to be less than they'd end up paying to care for the dogs (especially considering the donations that are no doubt coming in fast to help with the immediate needs).  I'm sure they could have used that money for future programs.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

BurningRiver

• Socialized
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »

I'm still confused. What exactly is "it"? I hardly believe that she's talking about puppy mills because I can't, for the life of me, think that people might "ooh" and "aah" over a puppy mill. Disgust would be a better response than awe.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
I'm thinking she might have said "eeww" and "aargh" instead of "ooh" and "aah", and the reporter just wrote it down wrong. ;)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

BurningRiver

• Socialized
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
Holy heck. No one is making the shelter out to be the bad guy here.

Granted, the statement by Theresa leaves a poor taste in my mouth, but the rest of it could, quite honestly, be chalked up to media sensationalism. I'm just pointing out that the numbers don't add up. Even if they're rounded, and even if I did the math at a much lower number, they just don't add up.

And I guess Jennifer's link proved my gut to be right anyway. . .  :brood:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers

KidneyBeans

• Potty Trained
  • Camo & Stella
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »
Redarless if there are 500 preganat dogs or 20....it's all bad. It makes me laugh to think that someone whould belive that Theresa is talking about anything other than puppymills.  :laugh4: What is the "it" you are talking about??  :inquisitive: