Author Topic: IL proposes anti crop/dock law  (Read 1547 times)

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
IL proposes anti crop/dock law
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3721

The American Kennel Club is deeply concerned by Illinois Senate Bill 139. The bill, introduced by Senator Terry Link, the majority caucus whip, seeks to severely limit the practices of tail docking and ear cropping in the state. It is imperative that all concerned Illinois dog owners contact their elected representatives and the billís sponsor and express their strong opposition to this attempt to fundamentally change breed standards by limiting acceptable practices of animal husbandry that are accompanied by appropriate veterinary care.

Current Illinois statute allows ear cropping and tail docking done for any legitimate purpose. If SB 139 becomes law, ear cropping and tail docking would be considered "animal torture" under Illinois criminal law and would be allowed only for medical purposes. In effect, SB 139 seeks to fundamentally change many breedsí characteristics by severely limiting the valid practices of cropping and docking.

The AKCís policy on the issues of ear cropping, tail docking, and dewclaw removal states:

The American Kennel Club recognizes that ear cropping, tail docking, and dewclaw removal, as described in certain breed standards, are acceptable practices integral to defining and preserving breed character and/or enhancing good health. Appropriate veterinary care should be provided.

The AKC recognizes that ear cropping and tail docking, as prescribed in certain breed standards, are acceptable practices integral to defining and preserving breed character, enhancing good health, and preventing injuries. These breed characteristics ensure the safety of dogs that on a daily basis perform heroic roles with Homeland Security, serve in the U.S. Military, and with Police Departments. These dogs protect tens of thousands of communities throughout our nation and work in the field. Any inference that these procedures are "cosmetic" and unnecessary is a severe mischaracterization that connotes a lack of respect and knowledge of history and the function of purebred dogs.

Breed standards are established and maintained by AKC parent clubs (each of the 158 AKC registered breeds is stewarded by a breed-specific parent club) whose primary purpose is to protect the welfare of their breed and the function it was bred to perform. The American Kennel Club strongly opposes any attempt by lawmakers to fundamentally change breed standards by way of limiting acceptable practices of animal husbandry that are provided with appropriate veterinary care, as SB 139 seeks to do.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Concerned Illinois dog owners are encouraged to contact the billís sponsor, Senator Terry Link, and their elected representatives in Springfield, and respectfully yet strongly urge them to oppose this attempted infringement on individual liberties.

Concerned Illinois dog owners, find your state representative and senatorís contact information by clicking here.

Bill sponsor Senator Terry Link
Springfield Office:
321 Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706
Phone: (217) 782-8181

District Office:
906 Muir Avenue
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Phone: (847) 735-8181
FAX: (847) 735-8184

RESOURCES:

To customize a letter of opposition, please click here.

For a copy of the full legislation, please click here.

For tips on how to effectively communicate with legislators, please click here.

For a copy of our Disagree Diplomatically brochure, please click here.

For more information, contact AKCís Government Relations Department at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail doglaw@akc.org.

Heidi-n-Koby

• Retired Member
  • Moved On
Re: IL proposes anti crop/dock law
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
*Putting on flame suit*

I actually think that ear cropping is cruel.  So I cant say that I dont agree with banning it.

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
*Putting on flame suit*

I actually think that ear cropping is cruel.  So I cant say that I dont agree with banning it.
Just because you think it's cruel doesn't mean there should be legislation telling me I can't do if I choose to.
Leave your' dog's ears natural if you want.  I will crop if i want.
Vicky

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
I do not think it is a matter of what some believe , every person has every right to feel how ever they want . If one does not like it then do not do it . But it is not ok for some to be forcing their beliefs on another person .

Some believe that a person should only be allowend 1 pet . Now you have to get rid of all the others pets you have .
Not really fair is it .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Heidi-n-Koby

• Retired Member
  • Moved On
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
But the problem is, I've seen SO many botch jobs.  Or ear cropping done on pitties that pretty much remove the ears all together.

A regular vet is NOT trained to do ear cropping.  It would be like going to a surgeon that is trained to do abdominal surgery and asking him to give you a face lift.

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
LOL - way to get right to the heart of it, Vicky. :)

I think "cruel" is a bit much, and certainly a little inflammatory.  Cropping is a far less invasive surgery, with far fewer long-term health effects, than spay or neuter, yet I'd wager you don't consider those surgeries cruel.

Certainly an unskilled vet can do a horrible crop job and the pup may have quite a bit of discomfort or pain from it; however with a skilled vet the discomfort is minimal and the pups are back to normal that same evening.  

Obviously I strongly support choice in the matter, and have and will continue to have both cropped and uncropped Boxers, to suit their heads, for as long as I am able.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
But the problem is, I've seen SO many botch jobs.  Or ear cropping done on pitties that pretty much remove the ears all together.

A regular vet is NOT trained to do ear cropping.  It would be like going to a surgeon that is trained to do abdominal surgery and asking him to give you a face lift.

I would think that many of you Pitt crops with no ear flaps left are done by the owner not a vet. That is illegal , so lets just enforce the existing laws we have in regards as to who can preform the crop .

Most regular vets do not crop - they do not even offer the services , try finding one , it is not easy .
Missi

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
Most regular vets do not crop - they do not even offer the services , try finding one , it is not easy .

From what I've learned on the doberman board, finding a vet who will crop is relatively simple. Finding a vet who can do a good crop is much harder. Just because a vet says he's been cropping for 30 years, doesn't mean he's doing it well at all. Quite simply, a good cropping vet is an artist. If you ask an experienced dobe person who does the best crop, they can name vets off the top of their head, no matter which part of the country you're looking for. It's that small of a number. I'm sure it's much the same with boxers.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »

If you call every vet in your area ( I have done it twice while living in R.I and also while living in Md ) I bet most will not offer the service . When I moved to Md I called every vet within 20 miles of my home and all but 1 do not crop and only 3 of those will dock tails .

Now whether they do a good crop ( and everyone can have a different opinion of good )  is totally different .  One reason I chose to drive 400 miles each way to crop Edy .

Missi

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
I'm mixed on the issue...I like docked tails...but it is altering the animal...i like the look of a good crop...but its changing the animal...I am not going to tell someone they are wrong to crop but I won't ever do it to my dogs.

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »
When Todd had Dobes he drove to southern WI to get them a good crop.  Sandra (my Vet) doesn't do it because she is not skilled enough (her words).  She does dock tails and Rachel has gotten to assist with it.  I asked Rachel if the puppies were hurt by it and she said they just make a little squeak and then go back to their moms.
Vicky

Heidi-n-Koby

• Retired Member
  • Moved On
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
I dont have any problems with tail docking.  I've seen it done (I used to work for a vet who did it)  To me I'd compare it to a little boy getting circumcised.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »
Then think of cropping as a girl getting her ears piece - obviously not quite the same since a crop removes more than just a little hole. But from the descriptions I've heard from people who've had dogs cropped, it's a somewhat similar experience:

- Discomfort right afterwards
- Aftercare is a bigger hassle than the actual procedure
- Itching and scabbing to deal with

As I understand, the actual "wound" from cropping heals much faster than a piercing. The pups just have to deal with wearing tape or "head gear" to them the ears standing, which I haven't heard of causing pain, just annoyance.

(Jen - If I'm missing any key points or off the mark, let me know!)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
Lucky me was able to watch and assist in Charlotte's and her brothers ear crop ,each step was explained along the way .
There is definately skill involved . Even vets complain about how other vets perform crops , whether they think they are nice or not . So one persons nice crop can be someone elses ugly crop .
Missi