Author Topic: Rescue group buying from puppy mills?  (Read 4214 times)

Sway9603

Rescue group buying from puppy mills?
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
So I just recently started making discounted collars for the rescue that Gretta came from.  I barely make a profit off if it and it helps her out because she likes to send every rescue home with a brand new collar.

Anyway, I was dropping off 35 collars for her last Saturday and while there I over heard her say something about this Jack russell/poodle mix (aka jackapoo :barf:) that she got from an Amish puppy mill and had to pay 100 dollars for him and then he was sick and needed meds so his adoption fee was 250.

Is that pretty normal to buy the dogs off of the puppy mill?  Its a puppy mill that is close to her house (she lives up north a bit, out in the middle of nowhere) and I know some dogs he just gives her flat out (like the elderly parents) but the puppies that "Didnt turn out" I guess she has to buy off of him.

I guess I dont know what to think.  I hate how he's making a profit off the puppies anyway, but then again its better than him taking the dogs out back and shooting them (Not illegal here) and at least they get to find good homes and not end up in some pet store.

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: Rescue group buying from puppy mills?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »
I don't think it's done often, but I have heard of rescues either buying (at a discounted price) or taking dogs from puppy mills.  I have heard it mostly about sickly puppies and bitches that can't breed anymore.
Vicky

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
The boxer rescue I deal with will get dogs from the Amish puppy mills...but she won't pay for them.  She gets all the sick, practically bred to death dogs that they would just go out and shoot if she didn't take.  I asked her once why she dealt with them and she said that was why...she had to keep a good relationship with them or they wouldn't give her the dogs.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Sway9603

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:09 AM »
Yeah Mary has a really good relationship with the guy.  He does give her dogs for free.  Mainly the bitches that are like 8 years old and cant have puppies anymore.  But the puppies that he gets rid of she usually has to buy from him at a cheap price.  She gets A LOT of mixes that way.  Im assuming its because the puppies were mixed and then didnt "turn out" like hoped for (which DUH, its a mix, what do you expect!).

I think she does pay for the puppies because it keeps her on good terms with him and keeps a good relationship so he'll keep calling her about the older dogs he no longer needs.

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
I will have to ask my brother...he volunteers for the rescue that was actually on the Oprah puppy mill show.  he gets lots of dogs from the puppy millers...but I don't know if he buys them or not.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
It's not uncommon; some rescues buy dogs at auctions, too.  
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
I have heard of rescues buying pups/dogs at auctions to save them...wonder if that is what is going on...ssomething like that?
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
I think it's the same as buying direct from the producers; they can then ensure the dogs go to homes where they won't be bred, instead of being sold to other breeders.  I would imagine they feel as if they're "saving" the dogs from that future, but I don't think the dogs are all in dire condition or anything like that.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:32:57 AM »
This is a bit OT, but it really is similar to the rescue groups that purchase from auction.

I don't like it. They're helping to feed their coffers. They need to let these dogs go to shelters and pet stores. Instead of attending auctions, they need to take a trip down to their local shelter - there's plenty there I'm sure. The pet stores are going to find dogs regardless - it's simple supply and demand. If not from the mills, they'll get them from BYB's. They're not going to stop it. Similarly, the dogs that usually end up on auction would have never made it to pet stores to begin with. The dogs at auction are usually breeding animals, which would have likely ended up either euthanized or at a shelter after the millers were done with them anyway.

I hate to say it, but part of me thinks that many of these organizations find that these extreme cases create sensationalism, which tugs on the average person's heart strings which helps to drive support and donations. It's kinda sad when you think that one dog that is in rescue for 6 mos to a year overcoming various maladies is causing many other healthy, adoptable dogs to languish at shelters.

I firmly believe that rescues should concentrate on owner surrenders and shelter pulls and that rescues need to be selective when making decisions as to which dogs come in and which dogs don't. Obviously, it's not a good use of the rescue's money to take in a 11 year old that is in need of chemo and has a rotten mouth and a broken leg because of a hit-by-car. It may sound sad and cold, but again, how many dogs perish at the cost of saving the one that (really) can't be saved?
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

PradazPurdy

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
This is a bit OT, but it really is similar to the rescue groups that purchase from auction.

I don't like it. They're helping to feed their coffers. They need to let these dogs go to shelters and pet stores. Instead of attending auctions, they need to take a trip down to their local shelter - there's plenty there I'm sure. The pet stores are going to find dogs regardless - it's simple supply and demand. If not from the mills, they'll get them from BYB's. They're not going to stop it. Similarly, the dogs that usually end up on auction would have never made it to pet stores to begin with. The dogs at auction are usually breeding animals, which would have likely ended up either euthanized or at a shelter after the millers were done with them anyway.

I hate to say it, but part of me thinks that many of these organizations find that these extreme cases create sensationalism, which tugs on the average person's heart strings which helps to drive support and donations. It's kinda sad when you think that one dog that is in rescue for 6 mos to a year overcoming various maladies is causing many other healthy, adoptable dogs to languish at shelters.

I firmly believe that rescues should concentrate on owner surrenders and shelter pulls and that rescues need to be selective when making decisions as to which dogs come in and which dogs don't. Obviously, it's not a good use of the rescue's money to take in a 11 year old that is in need of chemo and has a rotten mouth and a broken leg because of a hit-by-car. It may sound sad and cold, but again, how many dogs perish at the cost of saving the one that (really) can't be saved?

Well said, Jessica... 100% agree!
SARA ♥ Prada (1.14.07), Nico (3.29.07) & Chanel No. 5 (6.15.08) ♥

♥ Skin-Baby: Aidan William (3.19.09) ♥

dharleygirl

• Fully Weaned
    • RockysBoxerRescue
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »

I agree and will go one further - rescues should concentrate on shelter dogs. I get calls everyday from owners that "just can't keep the dog anymore" or "they are moving tomorrow dog must go tonight"  - Owners should not have such an easy out to just get rid of their dog. If they take them to the shelter maybe it will make them feel a little more guilty about what they are doing and then I will go get the dog out of the shelter. I clearly state on my website that shelter dogs get first preference as they don't have any more chances. I try to work with the owners that will keep them until I can find them a home.
Donna
www.rockysboxerrescue.org
Rocky - 6/03 - 7/16/07 you took a piece of my heart w/ you when you went to the rainbow bridge.
Mya - DOB 7/1/06

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »
I agree with Jessica but I also understand where these rescues are coming from. Although the intention is to save lives, those lives should be coming from the shelters. I see it that eventually some of these puppy mill puppies will end up at a shelter. It is a tough choice but one must support these shelters vs the puppy mills. Give the money and support to those that we need to help grow than those that we need to help end.

It's definitely irritating just to think about puppy mills as a whole.
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »

Well said, Jessica... 100% agree!

I agree 100%  :thumbsup:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com