Author Topic: Boxer scared to go in kitchen!!!  (Read 557 times)

M.vazquez

• Vet Checked
  • Capone back in his Gangsta days! :D
Boxer scared to go in kitchen!!!
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »
Well heres the story i was doing dishes and capone was eating out of his dog dish and he got the dog dish under one of the chairs and he still continued to eat out of it and some how he tipped the chair over while eating and now he is like terrified to go into the kitchen! and i tried getting him back in the kitchen, not even a TREAT would get him to go back in there! i also started playing with him, we run in the house he chases me  lol its like a little game we play and i thought well ill play that with him and ill lead him to the kitchen and he'll probally forget about the incident and go in there but no NOTHING! he put his brakes on right before the entrance to the kitchen .. i have no idea what to do..
my boxer babiesss =)
Capone - Male - blk mask fawn - July '07
Cole - Male - Flashy fawn - November '08

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Boxer scared to go in kitchen!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
Give him time I bet he goes back in once he realizes it isn't that scarey anymore ;)
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
Maybe you could work with him with and some yummy treats...start at the edge of the kitchen then work your way in? 
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

M.vazquez

• Vet Checked
  • Capone back in his Gangsta days! :D
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
Maybe you could work with him with and some yummy treats...start at the edge of the kitchen then work your way in? 

tried it no luck at all   :no:
my boxer babiesss =)
Capone - Male - blk mask fawn - July '07
Cole - Male - Flashy fawn - November '08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »
I wouldn't force him to go back in or try to trick him - he's shown he's too smart for that.

You may try a little classical conditioning, throwing some food at the door way, quiet praise for approaching the kitchen w/out fear, etc. The tricky part is not to rush it - don't move the treats quickly, try to focus on just getting him relaxed and happy *near* the kitchen doorway first.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
what about sitting on the floor in the kitchen, back to Capone, playing with something and acting all excited about your thing.  Curiosity might just get him to come in.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
I would give him some time . If you force him you may just make the fear worse .
Start by playing ,feeding and putting treats near the kitchen entrance you want him to enter , slowly work your way back into the kitchen . Maybe an inch a day until you get him to came back in on his own

Not exactly the same . But Edy once knocked her bowl off the table .
It is stainless steel and scared the poop out of her with the noise.she then
refused to eat from or go near the bowls, even to eat .

I put her food a about foot from the bowl and she eventually ate it , it took her about 30 minutes of whining and pacing but she did eat it . The next day I moved her food closer and so on each day until about a week later she cautiously was eating out of her bowl again .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BuckAndCalliesBro

• Vet Checked
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
Him being terrified about entering the kitchen, or any room for that matter, isn't a good thing.  But, I'm sure there are many on here who would give anything to be able to keep their pups out of the kitchen-- without having to use baby gates or closed doors, that is.  :laugh4:  I mean sheeesh, my kitchen is like a damn moving obstacle course most times.  These two are always underfoot in the kitchen and I don't know if its just in the hope of getting lucky, or in an effort to "manufacture" their own luck by causing me upend what I'm holding to maintain my own footing.   :laugh4:  Everyone has given you really good advice though.  :thumbsup: