Author Topic: Back length  (Read 2590 times)

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
Back length
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »
As Keenan's been maturing, I feel like his back is just too long. He compares well with other Boxers in the area (the ones he's met at puppy class and the dog park), but based on photographs of well put together Boxers on this forum, I feel like he's just too long. He's still young and probably has at least a couple of inches to grow up, but based on natural stacks right now, where I can stand back and observe it fully, he just looks long to me.

Is there a guideline for the Boxer's length?

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
Re: Back length
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
I had a link somewhere that was more precise but will be dipped if I can find it now
This one should be somewhat helpful
http://www.worldwideboxer.com/PAGE7.html

Also check him for being as long as he is tall (puppy ganglies into consideration)

"long in back" is usually mis spoken for long in loin
There are several parts: the withers, the back, the loin and the croup
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 10:25:27 PM by jinxx »
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »
Oops... this probably should have been in the "boxer standard" forum  :blush:

I need to get a measuring tape, but based on the pictures on that website, I feel like he's still too long. It could be a weird growing time for him, but it has me worried.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »
Phoebe looks long too, and her head looks small...I hope this all will change as she matures, but her background is none too good, so...oh well she still is my Phoe-bo-licious!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:37 AM »
I think the idea is that they should be "square", as in equal in length and height.

Why does this worry you? Are you planning on showing him? I think it can get better with age - seems like Koda looked really long when he was younger, but he has squared up a little bit since then.
Amber

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »
I think the idea is that they should be "square", as in equal in length and height.

Why does this worry you? Are you planning on showing him? I think it can get better with age - seems like Koda looked really long when he was younger, but he has squared up a little bit since then.

I am planning on testing the waters of the show world with Keenan. I'm not sure how I will like it, but I've just found some conformation classes to get him into. There's a show on my birthday this year that I was going to enter him in just to see how he does! He'll be 9 months old.

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
kaeli- since you are thinking about testing the show waters start working Keenan by getting him to stand still.  IMHO that is the hardest part of "showing".  Beas hates standing still...especially if Hal (our handler) is running class and "judging" the dogs. 
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »
btw...do you have a picture?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
Well good luck to you on starting your show experience!
Amber

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
btw...do you have a picture?

Getting Keenan to stand still is impossible. I will carry around my camera tonight when I get home to see if I can catch him in a natural stack. All the pictures I have of him are of him moving.. generally running.. because that's what he does best.

This is the best I have that illustrates what I'm talking about. I know it's not a good picture for judging this kind of thing, but he just looks so long!

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
here's a few idea's that I have used with my dogs ......  first you need to take a pic that is level with your dog .  That way we can get a good look at your boy. 

Next you can try to put his toy on a table like the kitchen table will work best .  This has worked for me , my dog would strech up on there toes to reach the toy .

Or you can get someone to hold a toy ( level with your boys face ) in their hands and try to get your boy to stack .   

I hope this helps you to get a good picture .
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Shaeward

• Socialized
    • Shaeward Boxers
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »
The illustrated standard may be of help to you in evaluating Keenan as well: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/illstand14.html

Proper body length is discussed here: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/illstand3.html

As Jill pointed out, "long in back" is normally a misused term. It seems most long Boxers have a fairly short back but are long in loin...this results in the dog being off square (I'm at work and can't see photos so I'm not able to offer an opinion on Keenan).
~Alisha~
Shaeward Boxers
www.shaewardboxers.com

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »
Naturally, my camera ran out of batteries last night when I was attempting a shot of him stacked. It's rainy and miserable out today, which generally means he won't do it outside. Once the batteries are charged I will try your advice, Heather :)

That website is wonderful, Alisha! Once I have a good picture of him I can really scrutinize. And I was using the term "long back" incorrectly, as I think he's longer in his loin.

Does this have a tendency of changing as he matures? I know he still has a couple of inches to grow up, but I wonder if he'll grow longer too.

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
Naturally, my camera ran out of batteries last night when I was attempting a shot of him stacked. It's rainy and miserable out today, which generally means he won't do it outside. Once the batteries are charged I will try your advice, Heather :)

LOL  isn't that how it always works  :laugh4:  .  I tell you its not easy taking pictures of Bouncy Boxers LOL .       
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

ibox

• Fully Weaned
  • I ate ALL of Santa's Cookies!!
    • ibox boxers
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
What show are you planning on attending? Perhaps I'll see you there!  :thumbsup:
~Adrian
Home to Aeschylus vom Schattenboxen (Ishie) and lovely Lily