Author Topic: What is a Working Boxer?  (Read 10760 times)

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
What is a Working Boxer?
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:32:21 AM »
I think the discussion on working Boxers is really interesting.  Also, I am confused on the points trying to be made.  What constitutes a "working" Boxer?  Is it just Schutzhund?  Is it agility, rally, conformation?
Hopefully these aren't dumb questions.  :blush:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:08:22 AM by BoxerWB »
Vicky

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
What is a Working Boxer?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »
What constitutes a "working" Boxer?  Is it just Schutzhund?  Is it agility, rally, conformation?

I think that's one of the big problems of this conversation....because I think the answer can vary greatly depending on who you talk to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:30:51 AM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
What is a Working Boxer?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
To me, working implies any job that the dog does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_dog
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
What is a Working Boxer?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
To me, working implies any job that the dog does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_dog

So...if I taught my dogs to go get me a beer from the fridge, does that count as a job?   :laugh4:  I'm just kidding of course...just wanted to keep it light....
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
What is a Working Boxer?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
so long as they don't drink on the job  :laugh4:
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: What is a Working Boxer?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
So would my pups both be "working" since they are almost always enrolled in a training class and doing some training at home as well? They don't have "jobs" but they are being trained to do certain tasks. Or would they only be considered working dogs if they were currently competing (like Xena) ?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

alncris

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
I liked the wikipedia link but I take those with a grain of salt because I believe most anyone can add stuff to it. I glanced it over for that matter.
Interesting though that it did say that dogs in shows often that should work can't or something like that.

In any manner check this link out:

http://www.duvoboxers.com/entrevista%20a%20ingmar%20sioen%20ingles%201.htm

Maybe this states better what everyone was trying to say and we can agree.
Looks like there is enough crow for everyone.  :inquisitive:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:20:58 AM by alncris »
The Boxer is the soul of fidelity, bravery, and honesty. The worst faults of character a Boxer can show are viciousness, treachery, unreliability, lack of temperament and cowardice.- Frau Stockmann

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »
Okay...so here's where I'm confused.  When asked what he thinks makes a complete boxer, he says this:

The appearance of an athlete, the behaviour of a perfect family member, and this very special expression...an expression that gives your the feeling to have found the companion you can tell your live to.

He doesn't really mention that being a working dog is part of the complete boxer.....unless you are taking the "appearance of an athlete" to mean a worker (which I don't think I'd take it that way, but that's just me).  So I guess I'm just confused because this sort of seems to contradict what you were saying yesterday, alncris, because I thought your stance was that the boxer should work (or have the drive to work, that is) since it is a working breed.  Is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT:  I want to add that I was assuming you agree with (most of) what this guy says since you were willing to post it, but I guess I could be wrong there to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:47:41 AM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
I don't see any real mention of working either. I just see a mention of the "getting lost in the all too human trivialities of show and game clubs"
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
I don't see any real mention of working either. I just see a mention of the "getting lost in the all too human trivialities of show and game clubs"

Do you think he is referring to agility when he says "game clubs?"
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
No idea, I'm guessing that term is used differently in Belgium? Game could be just any "training" club?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

alncris

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »
Blynn I share in your confusion. :wall:
This person is apparently an accomplished and experienced breeder and he makes some very interesting points.
I think I may be redefining some of my beliefs if I am to agree with him on some points.
Still digesting it.
Very thought provoking.
The Boxer is the soul of fidelity, bravery, and honesty. The worst faults of character a Boxer can show are viciousness, treachery, unreliability, lack of temperament and cowardice.- Frau Stockmann

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Al - I'm confused, your post said that the link was "states better what everyone is trying to say"... but you don't know if you agree with it?

It doesn't seem to talk about the topic at hand at all - in a direct manner at least.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
It doesn't seem to talk about the topic at hand at all - in a direct manner at least.

I think it does to an extent....we're getting what this guy's definition of a boxer is (which goes along with some of the arguing about whether drive is part of the standard, etc.) and he talks a little about his training.

Of course it's just one man's opinion....so I'm certainly not taking it as gospel, but some of his responses give you (or did me, at least) something to think about.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

alncris

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
Al - I'm confused, your post said that the link was "states better what everyone is trying to say"... but you don't know if you agree with it?

I agree with a some of what he says.  Like Blynn I am not taking it as gospel either and like she mentioned in the prior post he does allude to the topic. I believe a lot of things can be deduced.
I really need to give it some more thought since other parts of it go against what I stated earlier. Very convincing statements, I would say.

Hopefully, collectively we as a group can better sort this mess out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:15:17 PM by alncris »