Author Topic: Eye color  (Read 1129 times)

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Eye color
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
Do you think that the eye color on a 8 week old puppy is what you will see on the adult? I am wondering, if one bred to a stud with light colored eyes, whether one would be able to pick up which, if any, puppies inherited this trait when they are still young.

My understanding is that this is a recessive trait - is this what you think too?
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: Eye color
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
I am not sure if you would know that young ( 8 weeks ). With Edy's litter some still had bluish gray eyes -they were just starting to turn around 8 weeks . Which kinds freaked me out that some had changed and some hadn't .

Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:11 AM »
Is the eye color too light?
Vicky

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:34:01 AM »
Is the eye color too light?

Were you asking about a specific dog's eye color, or if there is a standard for eye color?  I'm confused.....
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
The ABC standard for eyes currently.
Eyes: Dark brown in color, frontally placed, generous, not too small, too protruding, or too deep-set. Their mood-mirroring character, combined with the wrinkling of the forehead, gives the Boxer head its unique quality of expressiveness. Third eyelids preferably have pigmented rims.

It used to say( not exactly in these words ) the eyes should not be lighter than the base coat color .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »
Basically, though, for a boxer it is the darker the better, right?
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
Yes, dark eyes are good. So the question is if you breed to a stud dog with light colored eyes (not a good thing) will you be able to see which puppies inherited this trait when they are still young (8 weeks) - or will you not?

Say the dam is dominant for dark eye color - RR - and the sire has light eyes - rr. In this situation I would think that all of the puppies should be Rr (carriers for the light eye gene).

However, say the dam is a carrier herself - Rr. In this situation one could expect 50% of the puppies to have dark eyes but be carriers themselves (Rr) and 50% of the puppies to have light eyes (rr).

Do I have this right? It seems like quite a risk if there is a possibility that the dam might be a carrier for this gene.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:54:22 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
I would guess that if the eyes are a light brown at 8 weeks, they'll probably stay lighter, but if they're a different color they may darken.  I freaked out about Hugo's eyes as a puppy - and I think it was even later than 8 weeks - because they were a green color, but they turned out nice and dark by the time he was six months old.  (Probably before then, it's just that at six months he started showing and I know I wasn't concerned about his eye color at that point.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »
Kerry, you have the genetic expectations right, if dark eyes are dominant and light eyes are recessive.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
I posted before this list of dominant vs. recessive traits; it agrees with the "dark eyes dominant", as well.

http://www.boxercrazy.org/forum/conformation-showing/easy-to-%27breed-in%27-and-hard-to-%27breed-in%27-traits/msg62017/#msg62017
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

poppytown

• Just Whelped
    • poppytown
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
Out of our experience, the eye color is not necessary directly inherited, from a parent to a F1 generation , itís more likely that youíll have light eye color return in F2 and even in F3 generation. We saw dogs with good eye color producing lots of light colored eyes offspring, and opposite. It helps a lot, keep eye on the offspring and itís rather important being familiar with dams lines as well, what means you need a years of personal experience and knowing a dogs from pedigrees in person. I personally, am trying to avoid light eyes sires, as I do consider light eye color vindictive, it gets you when you think you are gone safe.

And regard puppies with light eye color at 8 weeks, itís to early to have final judgment, I saw 3 month old puppies having light eye color that changed in good brown color once grown up. More often at fawn puppies.
we use Skype also as messenger - our Skype name - poppytown

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
I know Jetta's eye changed color drastically from 6 and 8 weeks old to her current age...her eyes used to be her fawn coat color and now they are a dark brown...

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »
Out of our experience, the eye color is not necessary directly inherited, from a parent to a F1 generation , itís more likely that youíll have light eye color return in F2 and even in F3 generation. We saw dogs with good eye color producing lots of light colored eyes offspring, and opposite.

Well, the reason why you will be seeing it inherited in f2 or f3 generations is because it is a recessive trait. So even though your dog has dark eyes they can still carry the recessive gene for light eyes and pass it on to their off spring. Then if you unknowingly breed to another dog carrying the recessive gene it can crop up in the puppies.

Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »
Do you think that the eye color on a 8 week old puppy is what you will see on the adult?

Not likely. It can take up to 10-12 weeks for the eye colors to set. I have seen eyes go a shade darker or a shade lighter after the 10 week mark.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix