Author Topic: Training new puppy  (Read 732 times)

hisdestiny63

• Fully Weaned
  • Patches
Training new puppy
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:22:08 PM »
Hi:
We are getting our first Boxer pup this weekend and I am very excited.  We are getting a female about 10 weeks old.  Since I have never had a Boxer, I am not sure how to introduce her into a new home.  I have a Cockatoo (are Boxers good with birds).  I also have a 6 yr old boy who is VERY hyper (ADHD).  How will the pup be with him?  Are Boxers good with young kids?  We are planning to crate train (have never done this before).  We have owned plenty of dogs just not a Boxer and have never crate trained. Any advice is very much appreciated!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Training new puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:28:59 PM »
Crate training is a great way to help housebreak your puppy. I'd suggest reading our Crate Training FAQs, that should cover the basics. The biggest thing is consistency - like waiting out that first night of yelping without giving in, always making the crate a positive place, etc.

I responded to your intro post with some info about your other questions, the one thing I would add is to be sure that you set a clear set of rules and enforce them - important to remember that the puppy won't know these rules ahead of time, but you should explain them to your son so he knows what is expected of him.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Waylon and Zoes Mom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
Crate training is very important, in my opinion.  I didn't do this with my toy poodle and he took forever to house train.  But I crate trained Waylon and he caught on very quickly. 

I have 2 Boxers and they are my first two Boxers ever.  But I have learned that Boxers are very intelligent dogs and will learn what is expected if you maintain consistent training/rewarding.  And remember, rewards do not have to be treats.  Some dogs really respond to high praise and lovings from their people.

There is a plethora of knowledge on this site.  So search the posts for your questions.  Or just ask.  :thumbsup:
Heather~Mom to:
Waylon, Zoe, & Gizmo

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:53 PM »
I have a bird, had kids & puppies and crate trained the ones I have now but not when kids were little.  Boxers are very intelligent and can be trained easily but need to be kept buusy cuz...a bored boxer is a naughty boxer!

Crate training is the way to go...helps on so many levels...just make sure your crate is size appropriate and if necessary partition off some of the space while your pup is small, this helps in keeping your pup from using the crate as a toilet.

Again...good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&