Author Topic: Investigation ties Petland to puppy mills  (Read 12642 times)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Investigation ties Petland to puppy mills
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Jen I see your point and what you are trying to say...but Joe Public is only seeing the breeding facility...maybe Joe Public ought to get a dash of reality and follow the life of a "manufactured" pup, from those pristine facilities (mills) to the semi to the pet store...

If it is about animal welfare...doesn't that part of the equation count???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
maybe Joe Public ought to get a dash of reality and follow the life of a "manufactured" pup, from those pristine facilities (mills) to the semi to the pet store...

I'd wager most of Joe Public has seen a pet store - the dogs in most of them are generally clean and reasonably (outwardly) healthy, too.  But again, and the same goes for the semi, there are those who do things to standard and those who don't.

It does, and the approach is the same.  There are welfare regulations addressing the transportation of dogs and the care they receive while in pet stores.  Those regulations need to be more strongly enforced, and the sub-standard operations shut down.  Then the focus can shift to the ones who are doing things 'by the book' - again, by educating the consumer and removing the demand for those puppies, thus drying up the supply of them.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
I think the change is not in how people feel about various methods, it's just that I know personally, I got tired of being so damned judgmental all the time.  I realized the fallacy of claiming that everyone who doesn't do things the way I think they should is a "puppymill" or "byb" - especially when faced with the reality that I don't do things the way some others think I should, and have thus myself been labeled a "puppymill" or "byb".  I realized that if I resent have others try to force their beliefs on me, I have no standing to try to force my beliefs on others.  I have learned that we can do far more good for the dogs if we focus on facts and standards of care, rather than on emotions and moral proclamations. (And in the end, it's really about the dogs, right?)

Thank you, Jennifer.

And I've said a thousand times throughout the course of this thread that my primary concern is animal welfare as the primary driver for why and how I feel the way I do in my differentiation between the two. Why does animal welfare and the need to refrain from restricting responsible breeders not fall hand in hand with each other? Is being a good breeder not synonymous with the observance of good animal husbandry?
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
I'm coming into this conversation late, and I haven't read all of the posts but I feel I need to post on this topic before I finish. As stated earlier in this post, I worked at a Petland for a little less than a month. It was an EXTREEMLY clean store as the manager was very anal and we were taught in petland training that "customers are more likely to buy puppies when they do not see any fecal or urinal waste in their 'dens'." The manager said "I want our customers to think that our puppies are special and don't poop" REDICULOUS. We were not allowed to call the cages the puppies were stored in cages, because the customers would associate that with cruelty so we were instructed to call them dens.  So with it being said that the facilities were clean, people don't see the way these pups show up at the store. They arrives to the store filthy most of the time. Coming in semi trucks from central MO (we're in northern IL) with cages stacked inside one ontop of the other. Most were sick in some way shape or form. Some puppies were so ill that the manager would not take them, then the driver just said he'd try to "pawn them off for cheaper at the next shop". For the puppies that weren't too sick to reject they went to the isolation room. All petlands have these rooms in the back. It has a nebulizer box that they would sometimes put 4 or 5 puppies in at a time for breathing treatments. And when I say box, I mean this was the size of a crate you would keep a small puppy like a shih tzu in. Some of these pups would come in with ear mites so bad that they were deaf. They'd all be banished to isolation until they looked healthy (not were healthy). The petland training is full of ways to sidestep the puppymill questioning. "petland puppies only come from USDA certified breeders" which little do people know are one in the same. When asked what happens to puppies when they don't sell, we're instructed to say "All petland puppies sell, we do not give up on a puppy. We will keep it as long as it takes." Which also is not true. Puppies would just "disappear" that had been there for awhile. Our manager slipped up one day and told the groomer that the puppies go to "college" if they aren't sold by the time they are 15 weeks. Take that for what it means, just know we have a veterinary college very close by. It just makes me sick thinking about all the practices that petland does, that no one knows about. This just shows because the store is clean doesn't mean that that's where the pups came from.  Petland is dispicable and deceptive to its customers. Like I said I'm sorry if I'm covering something someone else has said, as I haven't read all of the posts yet. But no one should buy pups from a petstore or a person who breeds their bitch back to back heats. GRRR I just want to smack people that do this to innocent animals.
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL
ALEC AND ANYA THE SKIN KIDS :)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
To be honest, I'm not surprised by what you're saying about Petland at all.  That's what I'm glad they were exposed for working with the puppy mills.

But no one should buy pups from ... a person who breeds their bitch back to back heats.

I just wanted to say that lots of responsible breeders breed bitches on back to back heats.  The ABC COE even says it's okay....all it says is that a bitch shouldn't be bred more then twice out of 3 consecutive heat cyles.

There are threads about it here:

http://www.boxercrazy.org/forum/breeder-ethics/breeding-frequency-22057/

and here:

http://www.boxercrazy.org/forum/breeder-ethics/how-many-litters/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:29:39 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
But no one should buy pups from ... a person who breeds their bitch back to back heats.

I just wanted to say that lots of responsible breeders breed bitches on back to back heats.  The ABC COE even says it's okay....all it says is that a bitch shouldn't be bred more then twice out of 3 consecutive heat cyles.

I mean every heat by back to back. I realize some people do breed 2/3 of the heat cycles (and thats all in their choice), but that is one thing my family never did. My mom bred min. poodles for over 10 years and my aunt and uncle had a breeding program for Briards for MANY years (I was fairly young when they did but I remember being at the show when their bitch made Champion)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:46:34 PM by Newcastle »
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
Okay...I thought you meant just 2 back to back heats..my bad.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks Randi...you see where I am coming from...it isn't just the start, it is the total package...transportation and petstore.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Randi

• Potty Trained
    • FACEBOOK
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:13 PM »
Thanks Randi...you see where I am coming from...it isn't just the start, it is the total package...transportation and petstore.

Exactly!
MOMMY TO:
TANK THE BOXER
KEIRA THE COCKER SPANIEL