Author Topic: chewing problem  (Read 2072 times)

gunner08

• Just Whelped
  • just want 2 have my treats mommy u see my sad face
chewing problem
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »
I have a boxer puppy that just turned 5 months on Oct. 28 and he just won't stop chewing on my couches it got to the point where he tore the back end of where you sit. it has gotten to the point where I leave him outside when I leave the house. he also tends to take the used up toilet paper from the bathroom trash out and eat it! If we have company and over and they leave the door open other then that we keep them closed. its just so hard for me since my husband is always gone. any advice?? I am tired of yelling and punishing him, I get very sad! :wall:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: chewing problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »
Well yelling and punishing him isn't likely to be training him, so I'd definitely stop that right away.

Do you have a crate? Have you tried crate training yet?

Does he have appropriate chew toys available to him?  Have you taken him to any training classes?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
samson doesnt have a chewing problem except for the legs of the chairs. i put dove deodorant on the chair legs (my trainer told me it was ok)

yelling at him will do no good. if you cant keep an eye on him all the time, get a crate or some baby gates. or sometimes i latch samsons leash onto my pants and hell follow me around everywhere.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »
Definitely start crating him when you are gone.  That way he won't be able to get into anything bad or chew up your house.

You should not leave him outside when you leave the house - for the obvious fact that he could be stolen, and more importantly, boxers are not made to live outside.

When you have company over, to keep an eye on him, put him on leash and attach the leash to your belt.  That way he is always by your side and you know he is not getting into any trouble.

But definitely - your first investment is a crate.
Riley - 9/19/2008

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »
Lexismommy - Um, I don't think so.  Deodorant is chemicals. And chemicals are not a good choice for a puppy, IMO.  Try "Bitter Apple" - that's a non-toxic liquid spray you can put on items to make them less desirable to chew.  That works for regular puppy chewing like Samson is doing.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I agree w/the ladies...yelling & punishing isn't going to help. My Ty was a chewer too...I kept him pretty busy with chewing toys so you might get him plenty of those. Good luck!
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
Agree wiith the others and think a crate is a GREAT idea.  BTW...welcome!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Waylon and Zoes Mom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »
Welcome!

Waylon was my chewer as a pup.  He still is a power-chewer (2-1/2 years old) but he knows what's ok and what's not.  I agree that a crate is the wisest choice for anytime he is unsupervised.  And get him strong toys like a cuz and/or a kong.

When I caught Waylon with something he should not have, I gave him a firm "uh-uh" and gave him what he could chew on.  He caught on rather quickly.
Heather~Mom to:
Waylon, Zoe, & Gizmo

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
I agree...I would NEVER leave a puppy alone at home without him/her being in a crate.  At his age, he's too young to have learned what is appropriate behavior (i.e. it's okay to chew on his toys, but not okay to chew on, say, the table leg or couch or whatever)....you can't leave him unsupervised and expect him not to get into trouble.  He doesn't even know what trouble means!!  I would crate him with lots of appropriate toys (like a Cuz, a Kong, etc) to keep him occupied.  (At his age, he should safely be able to hold his bowels for about 6 hours in his crate.)

When I caught Waylon with something he should not have, I gave him a firm "uh-uh" and gave him what he could chew on.  He caught on rather quickly.

I did the same thing....it definitely helps them learn what is okay and what is not!!
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Samsons Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
Lexismommy - Um, I don't think so.  Deodorant is chemicals. And chemicals are not a good choice for a puppy, IMO.  Try "Bitter Apple" - that's a non-toxic liquid spray you can put on items to make them less desirable to chew.  That works for regular puppy chewing like Samson is doing.

i think its time for a new trainer. she obviously doesnt know what shes talking about.

buy him a kong, works like a charm, keeps em busy.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
454634536%   agreee with what has been said - My dogs are chewers. ....exercise limits the chewing :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:22:53 PM by BoxerWB »
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

boxerma

• Socialized
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:45:02 PM »
Yes, I def agree with everyone - a crate is a great investment for when you can't be there to watch him.  He will be safe and so will your couch!  And when you are home with him, you need to keep your eyes on him 24/7.  If he chews the couch and you don't catch him doing it, but still punish him after the fact, he doesn't know what he is being punished for. 
Kristen
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

gunner08

• Just Whelped
  • just want 2 have my treats mommy u see my sad face
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:18:37 AM »
i want to thank you all for your help! i will do what you guys told me as soon as i get a hold of these things.

boxerma

• Socialized
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:57:27 AM »
You should post an introduction and tell us a little about yourself so you can get a proper welcome.   ;)  And we LOVE pics here.   ;D
Kristen
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Samsons Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
FINALLY someone from my neck of the woods   :boing: