Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 531 times)

Monkeynpuppy1296

• Fully Weaned
Need some advice
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
Hello all. IT has been some time since i have been here and posted anything. My wife and i are going to be moving into my sisters house so we can save some cash to be back on our own. My sister has four mini schnauzers. One of them are old (13yrs) and the others are middle aged and one is few yrs old. Now, i know my dog gets along with them for the most part. They have a fenced in back yard which i know PRECIOUS will love. My few concerns are that precious gets in her moods where if no one is paying any attention to her, she will wein and bark at ya. Sometimes she gets jumpy to when you try to play with her. How can i control her better???  ??? ??? :embarassed:
Jamie/Precious' Mama

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
When you find the answer let me know...Willie is the only one I have this problem with and I still haven't figured it out!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
Maybe you could take her into another room when she wines/barks at you for ignoring her....like put her in the office or an empty bedroom until she quiets/calms down, and then let her back out and give her quiet praise.  That way, being in the room by herself will help her cool off (may take awhile if she's really fired up to begin with) and she is getting rewarded for calm, quiet behavior.

What do you mean "jumpy when you try to play with her"?  What type of play do you mean?  Are you standing up, or sitting on the floor? 
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Monkeynpuppy1296

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
What i mean about the jumpy is that when you try to play with her and she seems to get over happy, she gets on her hind legs and stands ... shes 59 lbs and my wife is still weak from surgery so she can take her down in a second. plus, my newphew is only 32 lbs at maybe 2 and half feet talk at 6 yrs old. When she barks at us we put her in the cage. But it doesnt seem that this works. Her cage is in the other room away from us. 

Me confused  :wall:
Jamie/Precious' Mama

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
When you put her in the crate, do you make sure not to take her out until she's completely silent for a short span of time? No whining, no moaning, completely silent?

It sounds like she never quite got the hang of manners when she was little and these behaviors were probably cuter. I'd suggest training classes.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »
It sounds like she never quite got the hang of manners when she was little and these behaviors were probably cuter. I'd suggest training classes.

Yeah, I agree.  The jumping sounds like she was never taught it wasn't inappropriate.  My dogs jump when we play, but that's because I encourage them to....they do it pretty much only when I ask for it.

I think an obedience might be very helpful.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella