Author Topic: How do you train at home?  (Read 1503 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
How do you train at home?
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »
For those who are training for agility:

How do you train at home? How many of you actually own equipment?

Perhaps I just lack imagination, but I have a really hard time thinking of ways to translate things to home. I feel like I just practice touch (he's starting to get it to jump up w/out pawing me when I hold my hand high, yay!) and I try to do target training although I always get a sort of "blah" reaction from Dash on those, makes me feel like I'm doing them wrong. And I've been trying to work on his focus and interest in me overall, for both life and agility. I seem to have "broken" his interest in tugging and I'm trying to build it back up with short vigorous sessions that end way before he wants them too.

Our instructor doesn't seem to cover a lot of "flat work" but we're starting Novice-level classes tomorrow so maybe that'll change.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
Re: How do you train at home?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »
I have makeshift equiptement.

I use buckets with a broom to make jumps
a big empty refridgerator box for a tunnel
a hola hoop for a tire
I have one of those elevated beds on legs that I use for a pause table (mine isn't canvas, but plastic)
a large long flat piece of wood (laid on the ground) to mimic the dog walk

lots of things you can do

Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
We have weaves at home and a ramp into our barn that we work on contacts with and that's it...
Was gonna build jumps but never got around to it. We had 2 classes a week (1.5 hours each) for a while so I thought that was enough. Now we are indoors and only get "run throughs" oh well.

Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

GypsyMystic

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:50 PM »
We started out with 4 jumps, 6 weave poles(all pvc), and a teeter. (all built for about $75 at the time)We built the teeter because Gypsy was having major issues with doing that. Then I added a kids play tunnel, but that needs to be upgraded. This summer we have added 4 more jumps and a tire jump.

We have a barrel, and I bought material to make a chute, but the pieces haven't managed to get together yet. Our next investment will have to be fencing more of the yard. Miss Mystic gets a little too wild being off leash in the open yard.

I've never done alot of flat work with either one(and it shows  :embarassed: ) I did lots of things wrong with Gypsy, that I try to do better with Mystic, but I know I'm still lacking with her on some things. I'm just lucky that she's got better focus on me in general than Gypsy ever had.
Margaret
Gypsy RE, NA, OAJ, OF, CGC  8/10/03
Mystic OA, OAJ, OF, CA  CGC 5/12/06
Stryker Can/UKC CH Winmere Only Time Will Tell CA 3/8/09
Carly  Mystic's baby 7/26/10
Abby  Stryker's baby 12/15/1

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »
I'm never home...

Actually I have a tunnel, 5 jumps (+ obedience jumps) a tire, and weave poles.  I have a few other pieces to start puppies that primarily live at the club.

I have makeshift equiptement.

Doesn't take much...unless you have an issue with a spec. piece of equip ( I had teeter issues with Jakob) it's not about what obstacles the dog DOES, but getting them smoothly from one to another.

With the exception of weave poles.  Poles should be done daily while learning and 3-4 times weekly for maintenance. 

I've never done alot of flat work with either one(and it shows  embarassed )

I did more of it with Anja, which by default made me do more with Josie.  I've noticed recently that there are some things that I HAVE to train Anja for (left and right commands for example) that are changing the way I train Josie.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:35:20 PM by Renee »

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:53 AM »
I don't really train at home except when they are young and just learning, although I have used weaves pretty extensively at home. They take a while to learn and you almost need to be working on these every day until they get it.

With Trigger I have used some jumps and a tunnel too, but mainly just to teach him the obstacles. I am sure that once we start formal classes (Jan) we won't do anything at home other than weaves.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »
I dont train at home for agility.    We go twice a week to class for an hour, and she has done well with just that.  At home I do work on sit/stays as well as perfecting our heel and distance, but not obstacles.

I will be getting a set of Weave Poles and some jump for the new house.   I need to speed her up on them, and practice is always good.  Also with a couple of jumps I can work on rear crosses into the weaves and other tricky combos that we do in class.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »
Sounds like for most people it's having the "trouble" obstacles at home (and weaves for practice) that are the most common.  Anyone have specs for PVC weaves?  Since Aaron is going to Lowe's for fence supplies anyways, maybe he wouldn't mind getting some PVC cut too  :2thumbsup:.. one can hope at least!  Dash definitely still has trouble being consistent on weaves, my instructor has x-pens up around them to keep them "in" the weaves, but I don't know if it's actually helping.

Wish I could have class twice a week! Only once a week is available here (several diff. trainers all do classes on Fridays, doh!) and I know a second agility class would really make a difference!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
Bumpy made some at home that are like Lawn Dart - they stick in.   Fairly easy it looked like.

I only have one class setting.   But do a 30 minute private also.  In class like last night we do different Novice courses each week.   There are 4 dogs so by the time we walk the course, figure out things and work on problem areas, we usually get in about 3 runs in per dog and the hour is gone.

Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »
our weave poles are snow stakes- nothing fancy and they serve a dual purpose!
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
Well when there isn't a class scheduled after it, we get 1 1/2 hour classes "by accident" - the trainer has a couple short courses she wants to work through and is will to go late to get through them. 

Right now, because of Dash's one "bad" class, we come 1/2 hour early and get to go through the lesson. Then if he has any focus left (since it's a straight 30 min of work for his brain), we can stay for regular class.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »
A friend made my weave poles for me - they are PVC pipe with some sort of spike on the end and I just stick them in the ground.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »
Hmm, any idea how tall they need to be? We already have some cut PVC pipe from when we made Xena some mini-jumps (they only go up to 8") for her PT program.  It is probably 3' long?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:45 AM »
Hmm, any idea how tall they need to be? We already have some cut PVC pipe from when we made Xena some mini-jumps (they only go up to 8") for her PT program.  It is probably 3' long?

The poles I have are 3ft long.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
Anyone have specs for PVC weaves?

This is a set I'm planning on building to see if I have any use for it with students - I use wires on my own dogs and 2x2s but we do channels in classes and I'm looking for a set that I can keep spread at certain angles without tearing them down.

http://www.instantagility.com/2008/05/05/adjustable-channel-weave-poles/