Author Topic: peeing in her crate :-/  (Read 2716 times)

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
Re: peeing in her crate :-/
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
I'd have her checked for a UTI. Very common with girls.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
I'd have her checked for a UTI. Very common with girls.

Isn't it more likely that it's just the typical process of potty training with a puppy?  The way I understand it, Lexi is only 8 weeks or so....and I thought UTI's usually come into play once they are a little older?
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
UTI's can happen at any time, but you're right - if this dog is an 8 week old, it's likely that this is puppy stuff. (I wasn't aware of how old the dog was. . .)

Peeing the crate is usually short lived with puppies. Of my three, I've had one habitual crate pee'er - the other two peed their crates maybe three times before they figured it out. Of course, I kept them all on a strict routine and was reasonable in that I only kept them crated for no longer than four hours at a time, but even at that, it seems reasonable to expect that a puppy will, for the most part, want to keep his/her crate clean after only a few initial accidents.

To this day, I'm not sure why we had such a hard time getting the one to keep her crate clean other than separation anxiety. She peed (and eventually started pooping and smearing it everywhere) for a solid year each time we left the house. This dog has always had confidence issues, so it shouldn't have surprised me that her crate messing was connected, but it didn't make it any less frustrating. And we worked and worked on building confidence in this dog, but it was a long hard road. After that first year, she's been meticulous about her crate, but the first year and a half (or so) was very hard. Needless to say, I don't want to ever have to deal with it again.

Having said all that, if the OP's dog is 8 weeks, I'm sure you're right, that these are just accidents as the puppy gets used to the crate, but even at that, you want to make sure to try everything you can to correct the issue because messed crates in themselves can create anxiety, which can contribute to a vicious cycle of messing the crate just because they're anxious about the idea of being in a messed crate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:01:59 PM by BurningRiver »
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
Having said all that, if the OP's dog is 8 weeks, I'm sure you're right, that these are just accidents as the puppy gets used to the crate, but even at that, you want to make sure to try everything you can to correct the issue because messed crates in themselves can create anxiety, which can contribute to a vicious cycle of messing the crate just because they're anxious about the idea of being in a messed crate.

Very good point....another really great reason that you want to get into a routine of letting her out frequently (including during the night) and sticking with it.  I've not had a dog with serious anxiety issues (Bella drools in her crate sometimes if she's in there while she knows I'm home, but I don't consider that serious)....but I sure wouldn't want to!!
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 07:49:35 AM »
I thinkn this is more a pup issue.  You need to be extra deligent in your efforts to get her out to do her business...both you & BF.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »
this is what we did last night: we take her water away at 8-8:30 and we took her out ever 20min or so let her do her thing then we played for a little bit took her out again, then at 1030 we took her out then put her to bed, and my boyfriend got up at 2am took her out did her thing came back in went back in the crate and he got up again at 4am and he said she peed so he took her outside wiped the crate out washed her feet off and out her back in.

im taking her to the vet today. she is also has been talking back at us, if i tell her no she will start growling and barking and trying to bite me. so ill give her a time out and ignore her, but she will still do it later on. ??? ???
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
she is also has been talking back at us, if i tell her no she will start growling and barking and trying to bite me. so ill give her a time out and ignore her, but she will still do it later on. ??? ???

Sounds like every boxer puppy I have ever met! 
Riley - 9/19/2008

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »
Ditto... Sounds like the night routine is better (sometimes they just need to pee earlier than you expect) and sounds like she's being a very typical puppy.  They especially like it when you point a finger at them, because that gives them something to aim at with their little puppy teeth - totally normal.  Remove your attention (ignore her), give her some time to calm down.  She'll still do it later, but that's because she's a PUPPY... she's learning, one lesson won't sink in, but about 199,999 lessons will  ;)  Be consistent!

I thought you had a puppy before? Just wondering how you are not familiar with this very basic puppy behavior?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Samsons Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
Ditto... Sounds like the night routine is better (sometimes they just need to pee earlier than you expect) and sounds like she's being a very typical puppy.  They especially like it when you point a finger at them, because that gives them something to aim at with their little puppy teeth - totally normal.  Remove your attention (ignore her), give her some time to calm down.  She'll still do it later, but that's because she's a PUPPY... she's learning, one lesson won't sink in, but about 199,999 lessons will  ;)  Be consistent!

I thought you had a puppy before? Just wondering how you are not familiar with this very basic puppy behavior?

ive had a boxer before, i think he was 6months when we got him, ive never had a baby pup like her...not what i was expecting! but i love it. i just want to do whats best for her so when shes older she will be a joy to be around.
but shes going to the vet today for a check up and a shot.

Samsons Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »
poor lexi poo, i went home and got her and brought her to work cause i know she doesnt feel good and shes having little pees everywhere like it hurts :(
oh i hope these meds kick in asap.