Author Topic: Whta can i do with him  (Read 532 times)

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Whta can i do with him
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:45:32 AM »
I just do not know what to do anymore with JJ.

Tonight i took him and Ellie on a walk, he was pulling all the way down the road then he saw a cat that ran across the road, he lunged forward and i fell forward on the floor bent my thumb right back and cut all underneath my nail. The worse part is that as i fell and hurt my thumb i let go of his lead, it was just a nautral thing to do at the time as i thought i had broken my thumb, it all happened so quickly, he darted across the road (thankgod no cars were coming) i jumped up, Ellie began pulling me then as she wanted to run with Ellie, JJ was off but thankg=fully his lead got wrapped round his legs so that stopped him in his tracks - i was in tears, i was shaking coz i didnt think i would get him back, my thumb was hurting and i was angry at myself for letting go of his lead.

He just isnt getting it, i have been consistent with his NILF training but he is still so dominant with me, he barks and growls for my attention, pulls like hell on the lead and is awful when i have visitors....

amandaw

• Vet Checked
    • see more of Bentley and Tia...
Re: Whta can i do with him
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:17 AM »
Ouch! It can be so tough with these young men, can't it? I've suffered those lunging injuries too. Very frustrating. Hope your thumb and hand are feeling better soon.

Bentley was the same way on the leash and I tried everything. Then one day he just seemed to "get it" and now he is much better (although not perfect). While the hard work was essential to creating an appropriate pattern of behaviour, it seemed he also just had to "grow up" a little. For us this was around 16-17 months of age. Could it be adolescence for JJ too?

Hang in there!!

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »
I agree with Amanda...sounds just like teenage adolescence!  Wait for the skin babies to hit that...you wonder why you had kids! 
Anyway, I am sure JJ will get it and then you will forget all about this incident.  At 12 months JJ is still very much a boxer kid!  It takes Boxers a while to grow up IMO ~ they just love being a clown!  But once they do, you have an amazing pup.

Sorry you were hurt, hope your thumb feels better. 
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
I know that Koda didn't really experience that ah-ha moment until he was around 2 years old. Prior to that he would often get out of control. Could you walk them separately, or walk with another person to help you manage the two of them? That way you can focus your attention on JJ, have more physical control over him, and catch problems ahead of time before he has a chance to get the better of you.

Try to be patient (I know it's hard) and keep up your consistent training and expectations. These boy boxers do eventually grow up, but I think it takes them longer. :smash:
Amber

highdrama

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:35:12 AM »
Bers is right, it takes time.  Linz are you walking them both on your own?  Cos if you are, hunny you are not that big a person, like me, and there is no way on earth I could walk my 2 on my own, nope!  For mere support, you might wanna get Ant to go with you?  Just a thought.  I know I take Henri, although he is bigger, heavier and stronger, he is much more manageable because he has grown into himself.  Bria is lighter and easier to handle if she lunges but she is wild and, like you, we are at it all the time with her.

What we've started doing recently is swapping halfway through our walk.  So I start off with Henri, which is the easy part, and hubby has the nutjob (Bria).  Then they both get off for a runaround.  Then we swap.  I get the easy job really cos she's pretty tuckered oot by then and more ready to "listen". 

Keep it up Linzi.  It really will fall into place but it will take time, that's boxers for ya!  Get some help though.

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
Yeah, JJ is pretty young....it didn't really "click" for Bella until she was more like 18 months old and became much more mature.  I would definitely try to get Ant to walk them with you to avoid any future injuries...but don't give up on him!!  I'm sure your consistent NILF will pay off when he's done being a bratty teenager!!
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
I hear what ya saying - Ellie also was a little booger on walks but all of a sudden became an angel, i can now walk her on just her collar, no harness needed.

I do walk them both on my own most of the time purely because Ant has no patience with them when out on walks, he gets frustrated with JJ pulling and i dont want him to hinder all my progress with JJ although its very little at the moment plus Ant is a lazy bum too.....

It is not so bad when i take them in the morning as there is not alot around to distract JJ but when i walk them in the evenings there are lots of attractive things and JJ been a boxer puppy gets so over excited.

I am wondering if i am walking him on the wrong harness - it obviously isnt working for either of us.
Its the one where the lead attaches at the front - i was wondering if a check/canny collar would work, i havent really researched into either of these.