Author Topic: CLE on Animal Law  (Read 968 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
CLE on Animal Law
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:16 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I haven't been on the net much lately, remodeling our house.....but, yesterday I attended something that I wanted to share.  Before, I share what I heard yesterday, I would like to give a background on myself, because several of you have known me to work at several different jobs.  I have been married for almost 10 years, and in that 10 years, I have had 9 jobs, went to college for 2 years, and did many odd jobs from my home.   I have found it hard to find a position that I not only liked, but that worked for me and my young family....so, about a year ago, I took a position working with my longtime best friend Charity (who has been all over the US and parts of Europe) who is now a small town attorney.  I have been studying to become a paralegal, and working as her father's receptionist... 

OK< now that, that is out of the way, LOL... 

Yesterday, I had the "pleasure" of attending my first CLE (continuing legal education)-not that I needed the credits, but since I am an animal freak, Charity thought it fit for me to go.  So, we sat in on Puppy Mills and the new legislation they are trying to push through to "stop" them.  Which, coincidently, when they explain it...it doesn't sound so bad, but when you read it, it is scary as HELL......  Animal Cruelty panels which in attendance were 2 Allegheny County judges, one respected "rescue" Veterinarian, one HSUS head, one Pittsburgh ADA known as the "doggie DA", and a great mediator.  We learned about the "Law of Service Animals" - which was really very interesting. Factory Farming, which I found the information presented to be a "crock".  Hot legal issues for Shelters and Rescues, which was not that bad, except it showed some power hungry HSUS people....  Real estate and animal Law, which I found this update very useful, and once I read through the 1000 page book, I will post more about PA's ideas and laws....  And last but least (IMO) estate planning for kitty and fido, which, in a perfect world, the rich would take into consideration that people in this country are starving and would leave more money to human or pet SHELTERS instead of 12 Million dollars to their dogs...but that is another pot to cook from..... 

Mainly, the new legislation that the basically BEGGED the room to vote for, will give HSUS officers the same immunity (or similar immunity) as the police, which in my area of PA would be very dangerous, considering they are all on power trips and if someone has "ticked" them off, they take their dog (really they go overboard).  They have deemed a "commercial kennel" as one that breeds or whelps and sells or transfers dogs to a dealer or pet shop, or sells or transfers more than 60 dogs per calendar year. These commercial kennels must double their cage sizes, find an alternative to wire flooring, provide an outside "run", it requires an annual Vet check, Vets must perform euthanasia's, and Vets must give the rabies shots.  I didn't hear anything about continuing education or basic education classes being even recommended, which if anything should be "required", education about animals and what is healthy for them would be a good start (not that it would solve the problem, especially with some of the puppy mills Pa has, but it might help a little)...

A non-commercial kennel which is all the hobby and show breeders, must have a fire extinguisher readily available and a general exercise plan approved by a Veterinarian.

It also contains language that it is a summary offense to tether a dog from 10pm to 6 am.

All in all, the new legislation sounds like crap, yet again, but they sent me home with so much reading, I may have to update that opinion in a month...LOL...

As for the farming factories, it comes down to animals being tortured (a nothing can be done about it) because the world has changed to the point where most people do not even see farm animals, let alone own them and use their products.  So, pigs are being dismembered alive; young bull calves are being tether to a crate where they cannot lay down, turn or even groom themselves...until it is time to be butchared for veal; and chickens are being put in such small cages for their entire lives that they cannot even open their wings. 
As for the factory farming, this is a subject that is less likely to be resolved, considering the amount of people that eat meat from a grocer, and the amount that raise their own.  Recently it has been made illegal to keep a sow in a gestation crate (which insidently, is a crate that she cannot move in and barely lay down in to be bred in and to feed her young (which they actually use two, one to breed her in a keep her till she has little ones, and one to feed the youngs ones in). Never seeing daylight or a pen to run in.  Many of the laws for farm animals are written and worded that it basically doesn't matter how they are kept, as long as it is normal practice of a or many farmers, because farm animals have no sentience ( of ability of animals to feel pain and exhibit emotion).
Now, I think many practices of farm animals are cruel, so when I purchase my meat I do so from a local butchar shop that I know the people and where they get their products.  I also raise my own chickens, so I can have my own eggs.

All in all, the people that put on this CLE (most of them) I felt where in "PETA"S POCKET", but, at the very least, I got some reading to do, and I was able to listen to a perspective that I wouldn't normally have listened to.....

Hoping everyone is well.....
Kat
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: CLE on Animal Law
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »
Thanks for the info Kat!  I would love to read that information too. Is it available to the general public?
I am with you about meat.  We only buy locally too.  Free range and organic.  That's because I can't stand the thought of the poor things in cages all their lives.  I want animals to be happy until I eat them.  ;D
I am sure you are right about the people being in PETA's pocket.  It's a shame that most people are mindless sheep who don't learn anything on their own and just believe the propoganda.
Vicky

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
Great info. 

Growing up in the boonies I know all about how farm animals are treated.  :furious3: Driving by the veal farms still make me tear up thinking about those poor babies in there.  :'( 
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »
Oh Kristen, I feel the same way about veal farmers...poor babies never even get a life!

Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »
I am wondering of all the people who attended the CLE . How many others felt that people presenting some of the info to you were in PETA pocket . And can see through all the smoke and mirror tactics PETA uses to make people think they are doing this to help animals .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »
I would imagine that only a handful saw through the people.  There were a few people that stood up and asked very good questions about the legislation, but most just sat quietly.  I myself was there with two attorney's, who both believe the same as I do (that PETA was moreso behind this CLE)....
It is just sad that this is the only view that most of these people will get..... :furious3:
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com