Author Topic: Are Teeth alignment Genetic  (Read 665 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Are Teeth alignment Genetic
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
Both my dogs are awesome straight rowed teeth.  They do have somewhat the same lines, and I know Hanny's brudda Haddon has nice stright bottoms too - so wondering if its genetics?
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Are Teeth alignment Genetic
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
I would assume that it is - it's part of the standard and something breeder's look for in a show dog.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't your breeder have a dog she planned on showing from Hanna's litter, but the bite came in too narrow or something? So she tried to breed for better bite?  It's been so long since the original mention, it wouldn't surprise me if I've got some details muddled.

Dash actually has a pretty decent bite, considering his background. Nice and straight, though probably a little wide apart.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »
Yes Havanna's bite is a bit undershot - so isn't Hannas.  Hanna's brother had a decent bite.    Kash has a nice bit as well.   
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
I would assume that yes it is genetic , just as all the other traits people breed for . I hear all the time " my dog has such a great bite that he passes on to his offspring" .And that is usually listed as one of a dogs good traits.

I know Charlotte and Lucas had nice bites and all in the litter but 1 have nice mouths .

I have been told by some well known breeders and prof. handlers that a wry bite will definitely come back to haunt you if you breed it . Which is why a lot of people do not try and breed out a wry mouth , they are usually placed as pets . Now I have been told that you can breed a wider bite over a few generations if you already have a nice bite to begin with .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »
It's genetic. . . Recessive to be precise.

A bitch with a spoon bite (round and narrow) will be corrected only when taken to a dog with a correct bite from parents with correct bites, and even then, 50% of her litter will be carriers for spoon bites. This means that the puppies will also need to be bred to dogs/bitches with correct bites from parents with correct bites.

This is why mouth faults are said to come back to bite you -- because breeders think they have the problem solved, yet they go on to unknowingly breed a carrier to a carrier and end up with affected puppies.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11