Author Topic: Endurance Trials  (Read 1655 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Endurance Trials
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »
Does anyone know much about them or ever competed in one? I know that it is a roughly 12 mile run where the dog (handler can jog, bike etc.) must maintain a speed between 7-9 mph (a nice trot) over broken terrain. There is at least one stop where a vet examines the dog in general- especially respiration and heart rate if the dog displays any excessive amounts of stress or irregularity they are eliminated. At the end of the run there is an obedience round to show that the dog is willing and able to fully perform even when "jagged".

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: Endurance Trials
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
It's called the Ausdauerpruefung  or AD, (Endurance Test) and a part of the ZTP ( Zuchttauglichkeitsprufung) or breed suitability test.

Its' been a mandatory test for boxers in German breeding programs since the 70's.

I have a couple of friends here in the US who've done it...Anja will do it, and I might even condition Josie for it.

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:55:08 PM »
I knew it was  common in Germany. I was wondering about in the US. I haven't been able to find any of the local kennel clubs or breed clubs around here that do them. None the less I am conditioning Laila for it.

Kristi

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
What you'd be looking for is a Schutzhund Club  - (or DVG club or FCI club - something like that )  - an AKC Breed club or AKC Kennel club is'nt 'typically' going to have anything like that on the line up.

None the less I am conditioning Laila for it.

Good luck!  That's cool  - I don't meet a lot of people interested in something like that unless they also do Schutzhund ...

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »
I would love to do schutzhund training but I don't have the time. I love to see animals in working action, especially boxers. They truly give the impression of ultimate grace and strength. My girl Laila is no show dog, but I am training her for agility and endurance. We are already up to 5 miles straight (that is maintaining speed with no stops- I practice her on horseback), and she can do a total of 15 miles with stops, walking and jogging. I have also been checking her pulse after runs to be certain that she is doing as well as she looks.

Kristi

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 04:20:36 PM »
I hadn't heard about this before, it sounds very cool.  Kinda like doggy marathons.  Although I wonder, with something like this how do you tell if the dog likes it?   Perhaps the "jagged" terrain keeps things interesting?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »
I think you need a dog that is not only Very physically fit and healthy but enjoys hard work. I think it is also very important for the owner to be able to set limits and not over work their dog, I would think it could be very easy to injure a dog if you did not keep close attention to how the dog was doing. When I take Laila out with me I always have water and check her feet often since where we live the ground changes from dry hard ground with cactus and sharp rock to marshy creek bottoms that still have lots of pieces of shale. I also watch for any signs of stress. Although so far the only signs of stress I see routinely is her stress over me not letting her run after deer or chase birds! :laugh4:

Kristi