Author Topic: Okay, now I'm starting to get frustrated.  (Read 2085 times)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Okay, now I'm starting to get frustrated.
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »
I KNOW Griffin can hold his pee for 4 hours...when I stayed at my parent's house last Saturday after a wedding, I brought him to sleep on the couch with me after I let him out for his middle of the night pee.  He slept solidly without stirring for OVER 4 hours.

BUT.....he wets his crate probably 90% of the time now.  There is no bedding in there, I clean it with Nature's Miracle every time, I always take him out right before he goes in, I limit his water for about 2-2.5 hours before bed time......I don't know what else I can do.

I am afraid he's going to reach that point of no return where he will never mind sleeping in his own pee!  I cannot give him 2 baths a week for the rest of his life.

I am at a total loss.....I feel like this is something that is just going to take time....but at the same time, I worry that the longer he pees in his crate and sits in it, the less he's going to mind.

It's like he's getting worse instead of better.  And I haven't even mentioned how LOUD he is..... :wall:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Okay, now I'm starting to get frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
Do you think it could be a UTI? Can you go back to basics with taking him out every 30 minutes, or hire someone to come over & do it while you are at work? Is he peeing at night as well? Sorry, I know it sucks when you know they can hold it but can't figure out why they won't.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
He is doing it at night too.......but when I am home with him, it's not excessive (which makes me want to rule out a UTI).
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
I was despairing with Bria too.  It will come.  Be consistent with no bedding and a limited amount of space.  Bria has had one accident in her crate in the last 2 weeks and it's because she gets up, excited.  She learned but she took longer than expected.  It will all work out.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
Can't say too much that hasn't already been said, except one item:

They will always sleep longer w/out needing to pee if they are nice and comfy and cuddling. If we crate Dash at night, he generally wakes us up at 5-5:30, desperately pawing his crate.  He'll run right out and pee a river when we get up and let him out, so there is a need there (not just manipulation). However, if he's cuddled up with us, he's gone plenty of nights w/a solid 8-10 hours and not a peep. He even seems less "urgent" when we finally do get up - maybe it's a deeper sleep that means his body processes slow down even more?

Sleeping w/momma and sleeping in a plain old crate will have very different time frames for most dogs, esp. the cuddle bugs!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Arbies mom

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
I think Julia has something there because Arbie can pee for England (he seems to be trotting up the garden every half hr or going to the door to be let out if inside. Once he's in his crate or crashed on the sofa - he goes into a really deep sleep and no peeing. As soon as he wakes up he is desperate and if we're not quick enough to let him out we end up with crate swimming. He pees bucketfuls after waking from a sleep.
Did you try the ice cubes?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
Any updates on Griff's progress?  I'm hoping it's all good news?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
Unfortunately, he's not doing much better.  He is okay if I put him in there for an hour or two.....but if it is longer than that (which, it has to be about 4 hours when I go to work), he pees in the crate a lot more often than not.  He is almost 3.5 months....so according to the little rule of thumb (age in months + 1 = number of hours they can hold it/be crated), he should be fine.

I am hoping that he is just a slow maturer and he will start holding it more as he gets older.  I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of......so now I'm just waiting it out for awhile.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
 :embarassed: Bummer, I was really hoping he's caught on! I do hope it's just slow maturity. Goodness knows it took Xena forever to catch on - although we didn't know much back then, so our bumbling around certainly slowed the process - she wasn't fully trustable until probably 1 yr+.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Arbies mom

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
Arbie's problems are slightly different to Griffin's - Arbie is on water tablets and other meds which make him wee more frequently so I have to excuse him for accidents.-  for your own sanity I would stick with paper in the crate - when it's wet just walk in put him out to toilet and change the paper with no comment. Hopefully he is a slow maturer!  I don't know what other advice to give. Sorry!

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »
I feel your pain, i still have problems with Ellie and unfortunately she has reached the point where she does not mind lying in it. I too have tried everything but i think my problem is a little different to yours as Ellie is nearly 2 and should know better by now.

I was reading into a diffuser called DAP http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/erol.html#497x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddap+diffuser%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial%26client%3Dfirefox-a

I have read mixed reviews on this but i remember my vet recommending it when we first bought Ellie home.

Is Griffin near Bella when he is crated?

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »
Yes...their crates are probably about 4 feet apart.  Also, if I choose to leave her out of her crate (which I do fairly often), she is still in gated downstairs so she spends most of her time sleeping on the couch that is also very close to his crate.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BuckAndCalliesBro

• Vet Checked
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it yet.  Now if there's no change at all by the time he's 6 months, or no significant change by 8 months, then you might want to see the vet about it.   But he's still just a wee pup.  I don't remember exactly how Buck went through all this, tho he did have some spectacular accidents, up through about 8mos.  But now...now he's got a coupla' new nicknames in the form of: Supertanker, and Hose.  Man he can go forever, and then just trot outside and hose something down like he's tryin' to put out a fire.  So in short, just hang in there...  :thumbsup:

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »
im having the same problem with lexi, even tho she is only 2.5months. she only pees in there at night, but thats maily my boyfriends fault for not taking her out like he should. its ok to out newspapers or wee pads in there?
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
Lexi - I'd say we should continue your questions in the thread you started... short answer is NO to papers/pads.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05