Author Topic: Sleeping through the night  (Read 1367 times)

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
Sleeping through the night
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:49:30 AM »
Keenan has always been awesome about sleeping straight through the night. I usually let him out his last time around ten, then he will sleep through to eight and sometimes even nine before I make him get up and go potty.

These past few nights he's been waking me up at 3 AM to go potty. He hasn't really increased his food intake and I don't think he's eating any later (he's free fed) than normal. Any ideas on why he has this change in potty behavior?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Sleeping through the night
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Phoebe has started that too.  And I do not appreciate the fact since I only get a few hours of sleep a night...and she always seems to do it when I am sleeping!!

Oh well it is better her waking me than the alternative I guess!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
These past few nights he's been waking me up at 3 AM to go potty. He hasn't really increased his food intake and I don't think he's eating any later (he's free fed) than normal. Any ideas on why he has this change in potty behavior?

I am having the same problem with Cassie.  I tried taking her water away but she still woke up.  And was very very thristy.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
I think it's possible that this just happens w/growing pups.. their bodies are still adjusting and changing at their ages, so their needs may change too. 

Dash is about the same age - 9 months, and a couple nights last week he woke us up almost every hour and really did need to potty.  Then there are nights he doesn't cry until 5:30 or so (30 min before our alarm, not too bad).  It's definitely variable even though he eats, gets his meds, etc, at nearly the same time every day.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bearsmom

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Beary Sweetface - 2/14/94 to 3/18/06
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:08:02 PM »
My Beary used to go through "phases".  He would wake me up every couple of hours (every night) for a few weeks , then he would sleep through the night for a few weeks.  Never did figure out why...maybe it's part of the boxer "mystique".  Oh-- and he would only wake me up -- never my son or ex.  BTW, this went on for 12 years, so forget the "puppy" thing.  Then again, they are puppies for life!  :smitten:
Vivian - missing my precious pumpkin, my Furry Valentine

Waylon and Zoes Mom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »
I think it is the "growing pups" thing.  Waylon did that for a little while, mostly during his really bad teenage phase,  but now we're back to sleeping all night.
Heather~Mom to:
Waylon, Zoe, & Gizmo

Maddies Mumma

• Potty Trained
  • My pretty girl
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
Maddie did that to use a few months ago, and then stopped, so who knows  :beam:  Crazy dogs we have!
Veronica ~
Mumma to my fur-kid Maddie & skin-kid Rachel

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 06:35:54 AM »
Tire him out just before bed time, works for me.