Author Topic: Never allow your vet to use ACEPROMAZINE!!  (Read 3680 times)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Never allow your vet to use ACEPROMAZINE!!
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
It's vital that you do not allow your vet to use Acepromazine (commonly referred to as ACE) on your boxers. The drug has been shown to have severe side effects in the boxer breed.

This is quoted from the American Boxer Club site: (http://americanboxerclub.org/ace_boxers.html)

Warning on Acepromazine
by Wendy Wallner, DVM

There is one drug commonly used in anesthetic protocols that should not be used in the Boxer. The drug is Acepromazine, a tranquilizer, which is often used as a preanesthetic agent. In the Boxer, it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that receive the drug. Recently, on the Veterinary Information Network, a computer network for practicing veterinarians, an announcement was placed in the cardiology section entitled "Acepromazine and Boxers." This described several adverse reactions to the drug in a very short time span at a veterinary teaching hospital. All the adverse reactions were in Boxers. The reactions included collapse, respiratory arrest, and profound bradycardia (slow heart rate, less than 60 beats per minute). The announcement suggested that Acepromazine should not be used in dogs of the Boxer breed because of a breed related sensitivity to the drug.

WARNING:
This drug is the most commonly prescribed tranquilizer in veterinary medicine. It is also used orally and is prescribed for owners who want to tranquilize their dogs for air or car travel. I would strongly recommend that Boxer owners avoid the use of this drug, especially when the dog will be unattended and/or unable to receive emergency medical care if it is needed.

Submitted by: Wendy Wallner, DVM July, 1997

This post contributed by Julia (BoxerWB)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:31:36 PM by BoxerWB »
Amber

rac.cul

• Socialized
Re: Never allow your vet to use ACEPROMAZINE!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:12:34 PM »
when troy was getting snipped i said to the vet not to use ace i felt great saying it as if i knew a lot
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:30:50 AM by rac.cul »
rachel

highdrama

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
Make sure you have your vet write it in bright red ink across the computer screen or paper-based notes "NO ACE!! and always back that up verbally before every procedure.  Never feel bad about telling the experts how to do their job! 

Lauren

• Vet Checked
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
I was happy when I took Pepper to be spayed - I asked if they used ACE, and they said "not with Boxers".

YAY!!!
Owned by:

Photobucket

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Great reminder. Glad I poped in here again.  :thumbsup:
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer: