Author Topic: Another crate training question...(UPDATE PAGE 3)  (Read 3456 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Another crate training question...
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »
Claire - Make him go out more frequently and limit his water before crating?

Brandy - How did the little guy smell last night? I was actually thinking maybe the NM could be part of it, it does have a slightly sour citrusy smell.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »
He hasn't been as stinky so far as he was Monday after work....so here's to hoping he's not peeing all over himself and drinking it.   :dizzy2:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

sammysue

• Fully Weaned
  • Three Dog Night
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
 :sick2:
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be   semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
So I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is drinking it....and there really isn't much I can do about that, is there?  Anyone have any ideas?

My mom said she'd rather have him pee on bedding and push it into the corner than to drink his own pee.  I don't really agree.....but either way, it's not helping him learn to hold it in the crate like he is supposed to be doing.

Ideas/advice welcome!!
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Geeze, I dunno!  I hope that's not what is happening though.  I haven't heard of it before.

Very odd, almost like he's thirsty, but not since his bladder was obviously full.

Are you monitoring or limiting his water intake before you leave?  I don't restrict Dash's water, persay, but I won't fill the bowl up high if I'm just about to leave and if I've seen/heard him drinking recently I make sure to shove him out the door one last time.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

highdrama

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Ewwww dirty lil boy hehe.  I agree with Jools, limit his water.  Bria gets nothing after 7pm at all.  It really will settle cos no dog will like doing that.  I struggled with Bria too and she's only now managing to go all night.  Henri was easy peasy, soooo clean.  Bria:  opposite.  No water after 7pm, no bedding and limited space.  I don't think this is a thirst thing, more a shame thing.  I think they'd rather lap it up (ewww) than lie in it.

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »
I already take away his water about 2-2.5 hours before bed time...should I take it away even earlier than that??  I try not to restrict it too much any other time....since he's got to drink some time.

I agree that he hates laying in it.....so maybe once he's a little bigger and has more bladder control, he will try harder to just hold it.  He is still pretty young yet....only 10 weeks.  Hopefully this issues will just resolve itself.

I tried washing his crate with regular soap AFTER I sprayed it with Nature's Miracle at lunch...that way I can be SURE that his smell has nothing to do with the Nature's Miracle.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »
Aw hun, I feel for ya.  Bria's water is gone 4 hours before bed.  It does improve with age.  I too washed with soap and water before spraying with dettol.  You are doing everything you can.  It is disgusting but it's his way of cleaning up the mess.  The only thing you can do is take him out more often and give it time.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Is this only a night thing? Are you still getting up every 2-3 hours?

Somehow I thought it was happening between leaving in the AM and coming home for lunch? That is when I would "keep an eye on" the water but maybe not remove it - I agree he's gotta drink sometime!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »
Is this only a night thing? Are you still getting up every 2-3 hours?

Somehow I thought it was happening between leaving in the AM and coming home for lunch? That is when I would "keep an eye on" the water but maybe not remove it - I agree he's gotta drink sometime!

It is pretty sporadic, although I think it is more often in the day than overnight.  I am getting up about every 4 hours at night and in general he does okay at night.  BUT....even though it is only the same amount of time he is in his crate during the day (3.5-4 hours)....he seems to do it more often.

*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
You're doing everything you can IMO, it will settle.  Poor wee sosage  :smitten:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:01 PM »
Ok, if I'm understanding correctly, 3-4 hours at night and he's *almost* solid... 3-4 hours during the day and things are a bit more iffy.  Right?

If so, then that makes sense.. it's not great, but it makes sense. At night they sleep more solidly, whereas during the day they are more active. Even though they aren't running and jumping, their bodies are in 'active' mode, so things are moving around a bit faster.

For instance, Dash will sometimes crawl into bed w/us on a weekend and end up staying for 9-10 hours if we are all really lazy. But we make a real effort to keep his daytime crating to 8 hours max, otherwise we are in dicey territory. 

I agree w/Gayle, it'll sort itself out with some time and maturity.. it just stinks (literally sometimes) while you are plodding through the tough part. And I remember you said Bella was 4 mos when you got her crate, so probably she had holding it for 3-4 hours down pat before you started crate work, so Griffin may seem harder.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
Just to clarify...Bella was in a crate from the beginning, and she did have accidents.  I borrowed some smaller crates from my mom for her as she grew (my mom has 2 smaller ones)....so when I said "i bought her crate"....I meant the one that she uses currently.  It was too much space for her at the time, but she still didn't pee in it.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Arbies mom

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
I don't know how true it is and whether it works but we have a programme over here called "It's me or the dog" and a trainer goes in - a lot of the times it is for excessive peeing and she suggested ice cubes rather than water - and said it goes through the system slower! Who knows? worth a try!

I have never believed in withholding water after a certain time - my mom used to do this with dogs but I never have! I like a drink of water if I wake during the night - so why shouldn't my dog!

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
I don't know how true it is and whether it works but we have a programme over here called "It's me or the dog" and a trainer goes in - a lot of the times it is for excessive peeing and she suggested ice cubes rather than water - and said it goes through the system slower! Who knows? worth a try!

I have never believed in withholding water after a certain time - my mom used to do this with dogs but I never have! I like a drink of water if I wake during the night - so why shouldn't my dog!

We have "It's Me or the Dog" here on Animal Planet.  I LOVE that show!

As far as the withholding water goes...I only withhold for a couple of hours before bed time, and only while he is still learning.  He is in his crate at night, so he wouldn't be able to go over to get a drink should he wake up anyway.  I never withheld water from Bella, and I won't do it to Griff either once he gets the hang of the crate.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella