Author Topic: Another crate training question...(UPDATE PAGE 3)  (Read 3457 times)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Another crate training question...(UPDATE PAGE 3)
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »
So Griffin has been dong pretty well with not having accidents in the house as long as I am around (he has had a couple when I've been busy doing dishes or something, which is my fault).

So here's my question.  I have been putting Griffin in his crate with no bedding.  Sometimes he smells funny...and I *think* it is a pee smell, but his crate is not wet.  Is it possible that since he is so little, he could pee and it could dry up and I wouldn't see that it was wet?  I am not sure what to do here...for awhile he wasn't peeing while he was in the crate...but now I'm not even sure if he is or not.  I'm not sure if the smell is just general dog smell, or if it is a combination of the Nature's Miracle smell and his smell, or what.  It isn't a very nice smell, but it doesn't *exactly* smell like pee....I am so confused.

I can't make his crate a whole lot smaller than what it already is.....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:28:44 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

Re: Another crate training question...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
Hmmmm, it is possible I think and I wonder (gross as it sounds) whether he gets rid of it himself?  I had the same issue with Bria and it does settle down.  I never got to the bottom of it but the times I was suspicious were few and far between, she was more wet on her body than on her crate (and having a tail didn't help).  Don't worry, he will settle.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:18:46 PM »
I think it is possible, but it's also possible he just smells a bit... as I remember it, puppies can be a bit stinky from time to time. I'd just keep doing what you are doing and keep looking for clues.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »
Hmmmm, it is possible I think and I wonder (gross as it sounds) whether he gets rid of it himself?  I had the same issue with Bria and it does settle down.  I never got to the bottom of it but the times I was suspicious were few and far between, she was more wet on her body than on her crate (and having a tail didn't help).  Don't worry, he will settle.

Honestly, that could be a possibility.  Maybe I should set up a camera to catch him in the act?  Although that wouldn't do me much good as I still wouldn't be able to stop him.  How long did it take Bria to "get it"?  I know it is too early to expect much from Griffin...but I can't remember how old Bella was when it clicked for her.

I think it is possible, but it's also possible he just smells a bit... as I remember it, puppies can be a bit stinky from time to time. I'd just keep doing what you are doing and keep looking for clues.

Normally, I'd completely agree with you...but I just gave him his first bath last night!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:33:30 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
Hmm, that is a bit suspicious then!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

highdrama

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »
With Bria it took a few weeks and she was in the bath most mornings, then it was gradually a couple of mornings.  What works for us is to limit her space and no bedding (she does have bedding now but still has limited space).  I get everythingm ready the night before:  lead, collar, door keys, etc cos the minute she hears you up, she gets excited and can't help it but is improving.  I think crates can retain the smells too so that might be an issue too.  We used soapy water and then Dettol but still there was a smell for a while.  Good luck,

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »
So far he's only been smelly enough for a bath once, so I've been lucky.  I spray the crate out with Nature's Miracle pretty much every time he's about to go in, just in case.  His space is pretty limited...I guess I could try to cut it down even more.  He does not get bedding....except for today at lunch I put some in there, just to see if he is actually peeing.  If my suspicions are correct and he is peeing....he'll be back to no bedding.

*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
LOL I have super sensitive nose, any hint of pee and she was in that bath like lightning.  We waited for a week of dryness before giving her a blanket.  And at 7 months she has finally achieved more than a week of dry nights, 8 hours at a time woohoo!  It was hard going but we got there.  Sounds like he's quick at the training thing so I'm sure it won't be long.

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
I sure hope it won't be long!!  Bella has NEVER had a crate accident (except for one time when she was sick with diarrhea) since I got her this crate when she was 4 months old.  I was thinking that was pretty average...but with Griff, I'm not so sure!!  We'll see..........
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
He'll be fab!  Henri was a one-time accident kinda guy.  He would yell the house down if he needed out and would NEVER have an accident.  Bria is a dirty lil minx (was should I say sorreee B) and would lie in it till morning, although the next day she'd be dry and the next she'd be wet and so on.  So she didn't like it but didn't let me know either.  So even if you do have opposites in one clean and one dirty minx, there's no telling it'll take weeks for him to settle.  One thing about B was that she would never poo in her crate, but she didn't bat an eyelash re pee-pees!   ::)  The times I carried her at arms length straight to the bath lol

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
Yeah...he has NEVER poo'd in his crate.  Just peed......
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

sammysue

• Fully Weaned
  • Three Dog Night
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
To keep from having to bathe her often, try some of the bath wipes for dogs or waterless shampoo. It works good, is quick, and doesnt dry her skin like repeated bathing. I know how frustrating the whole house training/crate training thing is. Brody is nearly 5 months old and he is just now "getting it". :brood:
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be   semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
Brody is nearly 5 months old and he is just now "getting it". :brood:

Oh dear...I will be exhausted if it takes that long!  Here's to hoping he gets it before then....
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

sammysue

• Fully Weaned
  • Three Dog Night
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »
Sometimes I think Brody has ADD.  :mad:
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be   semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Then please tell me what's up with Willie...I swear he is peeing in his crate so he has no blankies at all...and he is a year old.  I thought saliva at one point but I am now thinking he is piddling in his crate.

Anyone have a suggestion for that older than a pup who tinkles in his crate???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&