Author Topic: teaching a faster DOWN?  (Read 1094 times)

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
teaching a faster DOWN?
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
Any tips on teaching a faster down on the table? Sophia is very fast at all obstacles minus the table. She'll get on it and  then she takes her time getting into a "down". No prob getting her to stay on the table either, just getting her into the down fast enough.

She never been a fast lay down girl. Strummer on the other hand hits the deck as soon as you say down.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: teaching a faster DOWN?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
Is she running fast when she hits the table, or does she slow down before she jumps on it?  I'm just wondering, since it would seem fast momentum would mean a somewhat faster down.

Renee suggested that I practice the table at home by having Dash run to an object I throw (I use a frisbee, she uses a mousepad) and down when he touches it.  And of course, she reminded me to put some *drive* into it! I was able to shape him so he runs to it and then downs, but the down is still sort of slow.  Still trying to figure out how to get him excited and "drivey" about running to it, but he's too good - when I hold him back from running (even if I'm pushing him around and trying to "egg" him on) he just waits until I release him.   :wall: 

So yeah.. I think the method would work really well if you could get Sophie all psyched up and trying to break free to run at the object.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
Well, I think that I would work fast downs away from the table to start with and only when these are fast would I start expecting fast downs on the table.

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
How do you shape or create a faster down? I know some people say start only treating the ones within a certain amount of seconds, but that always seemed like it would confuse the dog.  It's not like they can count seconds.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »
Renee might be the one with the best suggestions but I would try 2 things.

One just to work on lots of downs, anywhere, anytime. Lots of praise and treats. Then I would up the requirements and only treat those that are faster. If she takes a long time getting down then just tell her she could do better and try again. But if she does a fast one then really go crazy. I think that they can figure out that if they take an eternity to go down you won't get excited, but if they go down immediately you go nuts.

Or another thing to try would be to run around the back yard with her, and periodically tell her to down. You could even try dropping a treat (just make sure she downs before she gets it). If she goes down fast then lots of praise and a treat and go on OR you could even try toss a toy for her to go and get (but only after she is down).

Most often I find that Star responds best to me when I just go nuts. It gets her all excited and then she tends to do things quicker. The running thing worked well with her.

I think that the key is for them to know that something GREAT is going to happen when they go down, and that will cause them to be faster.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
We were taught the hand signal of a closed fist.   As soon as the dog would jump onto the table when teaching I would bend down close fist of treats on the table to get them to lay.   As soon as they went down "Click" and tons of treats.   Then keep treating for a couple of seconds, then release.

Hanna is pretty good with it now, all I have to do it say "table" and then lower my fist without bending over and she goes right down.   I think gotta work what best works for you.   We are not allowed to have the dog sit then lay, Catie teaches us to get the dog to only know that table means lay.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
We are not allowed to have the dog sit then lay, Catie teaches us to get the dog to only know that table means lay.

Yes, we learned the same thing with Star. I thought it was a bit of a pain and don't know that I will teach a dog this way again, but what we did is to say table and then wait until the dog actually laid down, then praise and release. So table actually means get on the table and lay down.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
We are not allowed to have the dog sit then lay, Catie teaches us to get the dog to only know that table means lay.

Thankfully, this is the one thing Dash sort of does on his own. On rare occasions he'll sit then down (and I don't act excited for that) but mostly he jumps up and then lays down.  Good thing I'm doing agility w/Dash, not Xena - she has a very hard time w/going to straight to a down (but can do them for the "moving down" in rally).
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
Her reasoning behind it is that some clubs allow either sit or lay for the amount of time, while other only allow a lay (think AKC)   she thinks if you only teach the dog one way, they will not get confused in different runs with different organizations.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »
Her reasoning behind it is that some clubs allow either sit or lay for the amount of time, while other only allow a lay (think AKC)   she thinks if you only teach the dog one way, they will not get confused in different runs with different organizations.

You cannot make contact with the table or your dog, you'll get DQ'd so we never practice touching (her or the table)  I use the command down and my hand flat motioning down. I am even practicing setting her up off lead, she good on one side not the other..oh well.

She sprints to the table and gets on it fast, she's just SLOW to lay down. She fine with stay'n on there for how ever long until I release her but she never had a fast lay down anyway. I am going to practice while not in class or equipment. On the other hand she's very fast at everything else except the table and weaves. She takes her time on those. On a good note we were doing all 12 weaves at regulation width- slow, but she'll do them  :thumbsup:

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
I teach a fast down in general (for obedience) so it's probably much easier for me to put it together with a fast "table-down".

If you're having slow downs once the dog is on the table (or the target), fix that.

Then add it to a target.

Then add the target to the table.

I was able to shave over 8 seconds off Jakob's std. course time by re-teaching it - and if HE can do it ANY dog can do it.

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
some good advise, thanks. Working on it a bit now and I notice if I say down faster with more gusto, she'll get in position a bit faster (a big DUH on my part). Still working on getting it even faster now  :2thumbsup: