Author Topic: Heath Screening for Agility...  (Read 757 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Heath Screening for Agility...
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »
Hanna is over two and this summer I plan on testing her hips, and heart before really getting into any heavy agility competitions and training.

Does anyone who competes test their dogs for this stuff?  And if so are there any other things that should be done before running them?
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: Heath Screening for Agility...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
I did Jakob's hips, and thyroid, and of course he was recently diagnosed with ARVC, but I never holtered him it (never wanted to know until I had to rush him to UW Madison a few weeks ago...)

Josie was tested (hips, heart, thyroid) at 3...

Anja will be tested, eventually...her brother Aiden just got a pre-screening and they think he'll OFA excellent...

Things like hips are a hard call, I know a lot (a LOT) of agility dogs with HD, several Obedience Boxers with ARVC, so...

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »
If you are going to do an echo for AS/SAS . Check with the local boxer clubs they usually have discounted clinics and can save you alot . I just paid $150 vs the $300+ if I did it on my own .Check with Middlesex or the R.I boxer clubs .

When I was doing obed with Titan I did his hips because he was doing alot of jumping , I then echoed him prior to breeding . His echo came back passed BUT they did see a few vpc's during the test . Which led us to holter him and found out about the ARVC . He was never on any meds for his heart thru his life due to the ARVC -lived to 13yrs old, and he never lost any of his energy . That is why I will never rely on exercise intolerance as a way to screen heart issues .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
I'd do hips and heart for an Agility (or Utility) dog; I'd probably do elbows, too - even though ED is yet to be diagnosed in a Boxer, I think it's not a bad idea to know what's going on there for dogs that are doing a lot of jumping/running/twisting.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store