Author Topic: Dash's Foundation II Video  (Read 1580 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Dash's Foundation II Video
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
I have more footage I may cobb together, but this is all the footage of him running a mini course for the first time. Everyone was outside the fence except us. The sequence was supposed to be jumps, tunnel, a jump, tunnel, and A-frame. We never quite put it together, if Dash lost focus, he'd run to the fence after the other dog.

Any tips on what I'm doing that might be "encouraging" Dash to lose focus, any unclear handling on my part would be appreciated.  Attempt #5 is definitely the best sequence.

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Re: Dash's Foundation II Video
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
For focus issues we are taught not to go grab the dog and to pull them over to where they should be. Its hard because thats first instinct.   I have to use a portable crate.   When we are not working on the course, Hanna either goes into the crate, or is working on sit/stays or heeling - getting the focus on me.   

If she while on the course breaks focus, then we stop back into the crate.  The crate has helped us 100%.   Now I go grab her on our turn, put her in a sit stay, then she does what I want, no wandering, no visiting.  Its has been great for her focus since we dont use leads in class.  Also I after she does something root her on, so she knows she is doing an awesome job. 

Its funny I had her in the weaves on Tues she was leisurly walking thru them, but midway on a 12 weave sequence if I started to go "Lets go, Get it Get it" she wraps around them soooo much faster!!!!   

Motivation is my key.  If and when I can keep her motivation she is awesome.  The second she loosed it, done.   I come armed with tugs, treats and a ball.   Seems to be working somewhat, but like you know - always a challenge here and there!!

He looks like he is having an awesome time!!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »
Hmmm.. not sure about crating (only because it seems like he'd spend 50% of class in the crate... put three "reactive" dogs in one class, and the distraction level can be pretty high!).

The trainer actually suggested getting him moving and back on course as a way to get his focus back on me. Obviously hauling him along the entire way doesn't do any good, but running away from the distracting dog and doing a jump or two before letting go does seem to get him back on track a fair amount of the time.

I do know I hold on to the leash/pull-tab more than the others in my class, and I should probably drop it more often. He has to *choose* to pay attention to me then. I'm just trying to avoid the mistakes of my classmates - they drop their leashes all the time, but they end up chasing their dogs around (sometimes this makes up 15-20 min of our classtime  :brood:) while I try to keep Dash from being taunted by a loose dog.

This Friday we are in our first Beginners class - it's actually with a group of people who have been in Beginners for at least one other class session, so they all work off-leash. Hopefully it is a good learning experience, and maybe having some dogs nearby that *don't* react will help us! I am sure Dash and I will be in this section for at least two rounds, the next classes up are the competition level classes.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
Well, you are a better woman than me - carrying a clicker around on the course. I don't know how you manage to keep it all together.

Is Dash at all toy motivated? Just wondering, if he looses focus with you could you squeak a toy and call him, and when he comes play a game of tug, or toss the toy? Something fun to get him back with you.

I don't know if you have used targets at all, just thinking whether you could put a target on the ground with treats after a few obstacles (start with 1 or 2) to get him driving over the obstacles to the target. I know when I did this with Star she was very focused to get to the target - although, at first I had to have someone stand right by it, to stop her from eating the treats if she ran straight there without doing the obstacles. Eventually we had it in some random place on the course, and she wouldn't know where it was.

Another thought is maybe for you to be a lot more vocal and fun on the course, to keep his attention on you.

When I watched the movie, I also wondered how he would be off-leash in the same area, without doing any obstacles - say if you ran around in a large circle, would he run with you or would he run off? What about if you had a treats or toys with you?

Keep at it though - you both are doing well, it just takes time.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
Well, you are a better woman than me - carrying a clicker around on the course. I don't know how you manage to keep it all together.

Thanks.. it still feels a bit awkward at times, usually when I'm digging for treats in my bait bag.

Is Dash at all toy motivated? Just wondering, if he looses focus with you could you squeak a toy and call him, and when he comes play a game of tug, or toss the toy? Something fun to get him back with you.

He is somewhat toy motivated - they often "disappear" from his consciousness when he's fixated another dog though.  I don't have a squeaky that I bring to class (I have two sm. fleece tuggies) - that may be a good idea!

I don't know if you have used targets at all, just thinking whether you could put a target on the ground with treats after a few obstacles (start with 1 or 2) to get him driving over the obstacles to the target.

This was our first time really putting together multiple obstacles, but I have been throwing down a clear yogurt lid for contacts on the A-frame and our work w/the teeter (just started).  A target at the end of a small sequence sounds like a good idea - get him "grounded" again.

Another thought is maybe for you to be a lot more vocal and fun on the course, to keep his attention on you.

:idea: And this is exactly why posting video can be so helpful - someone pointing out an obvious, easy thing that you *meant* to do but had completely forgotten about! I'm practically running him silent, and he's only a newbie... geeze!  :blush:

When I watched the movie, I also wondered how he would be off-leash in the same area, without doing any obstacles - say if you ran around in a large circle, would he run with you or would he run off? What about if you had a treats or toys with you?

(Presuming this is when we are the only ones in the fence, but dogs are present outside the fence) With treats, he'd definitely run away.. he does this in the yard. I can run around and act goofy.. he generally does his own thing, or he may run by and "tag" me but then he runs away. I haven't really tried it w/toys, I suspect if it was still the same dog outside the fence, he'd still run off. I'm not very good at being more interesting than dogs nearby - but now if I remember to make some noise, maybe we'll see some improvement!  ;) :thumbsup:

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
Sounds like you are getting wonderful advice here.  Dash and you will be just fine real soon. :yes:
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »

He is somewhat toy motivated - they often "disappear" from his consciousness when he's fixated another dog though.  I don't have a squeaky that I bring to class (I have two sm. fleece tuggies) - that may be a good idea!

Something that he NEVER gets to play with outside of agility class and that he REALLY likes. Star wasn't super crazy over toys but I have this little fur squeaky mouse that would drive her nuts and I also had a little frog that croaked that worked well.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
Mine is the orange orbee ball - its always in the agility bag, and she will do ANYTHING for it.  Right when I am about to work her, I show her the ball.   She will sit/stay then the ball goes right into my treat bag.  As she is doing the last obstacle, the ball comes out - gets tossed and she is a happy as can be!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to look around.  He likes toys, but I've never had a toy that got his attention everytime. Once I had a teeny little turkey toy ($1 from Target) he really enjoyed, but even that he'd ignore on occasion. That was a "class-only" toy too.  Hmm... something crazy, noisy, and somewhat small so I can have it with me.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »
I swear by my ball.   Hanna will not even notice the barbie fluff dog we have that wears different color barets to class nor the overly hyper Border Collie who needs to tug 24/7 when not working on equiptment.   

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
I swear by my ball.   Hanna will not even notice the barbie fluff dog we have that wears different color barets to class nor the overly hyper Border Collie who needs to tug 24/7 when not working on equiptment.   

You are really lucky then. Skye is a lot like that - if I have her cuz she is 100% focused on me and couldn't care less what is going on around me. Star was not quite as toy motivated, and the more stressed she got, the more she would loose interested in her toys. There is NO way that she would play with toys at a trial - she is just way too stressed, but at least in class I could get her interest in some toys. But, she is totally food motivated and will do absolutely anything for food. She is also pretty voice motivated - if I am excited and happy about whatever she is doing.

I think it is a matter of finding out what works for your dog......and with some dogs it takes quite a bit of work to find out what that is.

Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »
With Dash, I think, it's that the other-dog factor is still really high. I'm not sure how to "fix" that except to keep bringing him around other dogs and asking him to work (and remembering to be fun and interesting, of course!  ;)) Toys and food are both interesting to him, but other dogs are fascinating!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
With Dash, I think, it's that the other-dog factor is still really high. I'm not sure how to "fix" that except to keep bringing him around other dogs and asking him to work (and remembering to be fun and interesting, of course!  ;)) Toys and food are both interesting to him, but other dogs are fascinating!

Yeah, then just remember that this will take time to fix. The more places you can take him and have him focus on you and work for you, the better he will become.
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
Yeah, the places part is hard right now.  Our road isn't safe to walk on (45mph, everyone goes 50mph or more) and doesn't really expose him much anyways.  Everywhere else requires driving and gas is so darned expensive! It's not supposed to be *too* hot this weekend, so maybe I can mix in some short walks with my normal errand running.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
Wow Julia he is really coming along...good job you 2!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&