Author Topic: Is washing bedding enough?  (Read 1730 times)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Is washing bedding enough?
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »
So when Griffin pees in his crate (yes, he pees in there now.  he went the first 4 days with no accidents, and i think he is trying to make up for it now).....is putting the bedding through the hot wash cycle enough?  Or do I need to do something extra?

I want to make sure his peeing in the crate isn't something that I'm causing by using the same bedding over and over.....
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Is washing bedding enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
maybe soak it in Nature's Miracle to make sure the smell is out completely?  or...you could also put a pee pad in there instead of a blanket.
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
I would soak it w/Nature's Miracle or at least add NM to the wash. I'm pretty sure pee smells can linger after washing.

Are you using bedding you'd be willing to throw away?  It may get just too funky after a while, and you'll want to sub in some cheap towels/blankies instead of using a nice bed.

If he starts to do it when you *know* he could hold it (like he just pee'd, you put him in for a couple minutes, etc) then I might suggest taking away his "bedding privileges" - we feel mean putting a dog in a crate w/nothing comfy to lie on, but honestly they seem more likely to pee when they have bedding.  And at least w/Dash (who's problem is def. behavioral - he never "wets" when there is no bedding), he doesn't seem the least bit perturbed about not having a blanky.  I think we humans can't imagine laying on a hard plastic tray, so we get attached to the idea of our version of comfort - plenty of dogs probably would not be phased or upset by laying in their crates without padding.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »
I have to remove Willie's lately too.  I don't know why he started tinkling in his crate...but I just don't want him to continue so no blankie.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
Plain old White vinegar works just like NM but is dirt cheaper ;)  Just add a cup to the wash and it will get the smell out and leave the blankies smelling fresh and clean (i.e. not like vinegar)
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »
good call on the vinegar  :thumbsup: Also you can use peroxide or a peroxide base non-chlorine bleach. That should take care of the lingering odor.

I'd also not give him an actual bed yet. Way too much fluff that could soak in the pee. Blankets or towels I think are better for a young pup. Plus you can toss them out if they get nasty.

Strummer has 2 fleece blankets in his crate. Thankfully (knock on wood) he has never had an accident in there but i still don't want him to have an actual bed in their yet. Just in case...and I am afraid he may chew it anyway.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
Keanu would pee on his bedding then kick it out of his way. Take out the bedding for a while. They get it pretty quik.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

shm87

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »
I agree with Bumpy. Take the bedding out and see if he stops. If not, I would then try to use a towel or blanket.
Sue~Bailey, Guinness and Finnegan

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:02:14 AM »
Yeah...he doesn't have an actual bed.  I use old towels and some cheap fleece blankets.  I was thinking about taking the bedding out for awhile...but before I did that, I decided I would try one more thing.  Last night I went back to square one, and let him out about every 2.5-3 hours during the night....and no accidents!! I realized that I was probably moving too fast for him.  I mean....he's not even 10 weeks yet....and I guess since he did so well without having an accident the first 4 days, my expectations were too high.  We'll see what happens when he has to be in there for 3.5 hours while I'm at work today....

....if he goes back to the accidents, I'm going to remove his bedding.  That is what I wanted to do last night...because I am exhausted with all the waking up in the middle of the night....but I figured I had to do the right thing for him and wake up more during the night before I rob him of his bedding.  Hopefully this works.  I'll keep you posted.

Either way...I will probably have to buy some white vinegar for my laundry.  Wouldn't hurt to use it for their bedding all the time, regardless of whether they pee on it.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »
Hey, good for you!  So many of us tried to move through potty training too quickly w/our dogs and complained about our puppies for a long time before realizing we were to blame!

For the sake of your sleep, I hope he's able to move forward a little bit soon, but I'm glad you are able to figure out a way to set him up for success!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »
For the sake of your sleep, I hope he's able to move forward a little bit soon, but I'm glad you are able to figure out a way to set him up for success!!

Yeah...I'm hoping so too!!!  I can't remember when it was....but once Bella was solid at sleeping through the night, she started sleeping in bed with me.  She wasn't *that* old...but I'm pretty sure it was like maybe 3-4 months.  I can't wait until Griffin is at that point and we can all sleep together.   :laugh4:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

highdrama

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
Bria was a nightmare for peeing whereas Henri was a dream.  Limiting her space was the only answer, and being brutal with regards no bedding.  She still sleeps in limited space cos if you give it to her, she uses it!  She maybe has one accident in her crate per week but every other night she goes 8 hours,,,and she never lets me know where Henri would shout the house down rather than have an accident!

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
He has been doing great with no bedding...no accidents in the crate at all.  Also, much to my surprise, I think he somewhat understands that he is supposed to be peeing outside.  He has been going to the door and staring at it, whining, and scratching at it when he has to go...he hasn't had an accident in the house for over 2 days!!

And to think it was just Wednesday when I was starting to get frustrated with him!  He has really shown me!   :thumbsup:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella