Author Topic: Do you train your dogs in weather above 95 degrees?  (Read 1080 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Do you train your dogs in weather above 95 degrees?
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Hanna was in a hot house today, hence why I am skipping out on her training session today.   Could make it sure its cooler down there however since she heart is not testest yet we are skipping it -

I do know that come trial time you need to be be prepared to run during any kind of heat and surrounding but for those who do agility, what are your limits??   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:11:37 PM by Hanna Banana »
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Arbies mom

Re: Do you train your dogs in weather above 95 degrees?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
I wouldn't contemplate walking Arbie in those conditions - he is collapsing in  the UK just now and we have hardly reached the seventies! Do what you think is best for your dog every time and you won't go wrong.

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
I do otherwise I would not be able to train in summer at all, but it is tough.

Generally speaking if I am working them then I work them early in the morning or late at night, but for classes I don't have the luxury of setting times. I take along a lot of water, and they have paddling pools that they fill with water for the dogs to get in and cool down. Even though Star doesn't like it, I will spray her down with the hose to try and keep her cool.

I would NOT compete if the trial were outside and it was this hot - but that really isn't an issue here, since in summer all of the trials are indoors.  I doubt I could expect good results when the temperature is that high.

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
We haven't come across that yet, but even the other night (7:30-8:30pm) when it was still about 80 and humid, Dash's class was just about useless.  We ran a couple quick things... then between the other dogs getting loose (other issue entirely!) and the heat, he was toast for the night!

It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow, cooling slightly to 75 by the time we have class. I'll be interested to see how he does.. it is also his last class for this session, so hopefully there is something worth taping (Aaron comes to the last class and tapes it for me)  :2thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
I also would only train in the late evening as long as the humidity goes down . Oour old traing place was indoors so I would go to classes .

As far as outside trials . I would only do boxer specialties because I knew that it would be in the morning and not last too long . Otherwise I would do indoor as long as I know the oplace is cooled .

I once did an outdoor match in the summer - NEVER again . even with the dogs crated in the shade and watered down . It was way too hot , and we still lived in R.I at the time .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
I did not go last night - class was at 7pm, and still was VERY humid - so going to make up the class on Thurs which should be in the 70s.   I am sure class ran but we are the only short nosed dog in our group of three and just knew it would be a waste of time and did not want to push her esp since she was panting from being in a hot house.   I rather do a make up class in a lower level (which is always great for learning) then to waste an hour of class with a non-productive dog.

Thanks guys for you input - I feel bad missing class, but just did not think it was the smartest move.

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:30 AM »
I think better safe than sorry.  I know you work with her on your own so one class isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.  Hanna is a star anyway :smitten:
Joyce

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »
I think I have been to only one of my Tuesday night classes.   I like Thursdays better so been hitting that one.   I drive home an hour, get her have 20 minute to get my agility bag together, change and drive another 20 minutes to class to make it there by 7.   Rush rush rush.  The 7:30 Thurs class was my old time slot and loved it:)

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
I think something else to consider is that those of us who live in the south are exposed to this sort of heat for a LONG period of time, and so are a lot more used to it - ditto, for the dogs. For the past month it has been in the mid 90's every day and it stays that way until late at night.
It is probably a lot different for you were it is the exception for it to be so hot, and your dogs are not as used to it.

That being said, Trigger has his first obedience class tonight - outside, and it is going to be over 90 degrees. Just as well the little man loves the hose......
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
Yea summer sucks, it is already reaching 90 - 95 down here. Our agility club doesn't do any classes in the summer because it is to hot. I have to train at 5:30AM and 7:00-7:30 PM otherwise Knox is useless. I am trying to work as much stuff as possible inside.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN