Author Topic: Spitting treats  (Read 1135 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Spitting treats
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
For those of you who spits treats (may not be agility, but that's where I'm using it):

Can you have more than one in your mouth, but spit only one at a time? I haven't figured that detail out yet - if I try it w/string cheese, it falls apart when I tuck it into my cheek; the Zuke's mini natural's don't want to stay put when I pucker up and blow, lol.

Does your dog go "out of position" when you spit the treat? (and is that OK?) Dash has to compensate for my less-accurate aim, so I'll spit because I'm rewarding a sit or a contact - but then he pops up or lunges to the side to catch the treat. I'm trying to keep the distance short, but even 4-5 feet (between our height difference and actual distance away) has a lot of room for error.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Spitting treats
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
Can you have more than one in your mouth, but spit only one at a time? I haven't figured that detail out yet - if I try it w/string cheese, it falls apart when I tuck it into my cheek; the Zuke's mini natural's don't want to stay put when I pucker up and blow, lol.

I use hotdogs and I will normally have one big piece in my mouth and one smaller piece that I am about to spit.

Does your dog go "out of position" when you spit the treat? (and is that OK?) Dash has to compensate for my less-accurate aim, so I'll spit because I'm rewarding a sit or a contact - but then he pops up or lunges to the side to catch the treat. I'm trying to keep the distance short, but even 4-5 feet (between our height difference and actual distance away) has a lot of room for error.

Yes, it happens if my spit is not accurate. I do a lot of spits for front, so she is sitting right in front of me and it is easy to be accurate. I don't have too much distance on my spits so if I need something further away I will toss it with my hand.

Practise makes perfect though......

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »
Yeah, so far I'm *less* worried about accuracy because I use it the most when I'm rewarding him for attention to me or not freaking out at the other dogs acting up.  It's just a lot harder if he's on a contact - if you remember from the video, I was having trouble w/him coming down slanted on contacts 'cause he was leaning in for the treat.

In another note - His attention during our "off-leash" segments of class has been great! He's the only dog (of 3) that hasn't gotten the Zoomies or gone to another dog! And trainer gave me a nice padded "pull tab" leash (for free!) because he was balking at dragging around his 6' leash or having it wrapped loosely around him. I don't blame him!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
It is great that he is doing so well!

For contacts, I normally use a treat that I have in my outside hand and I bring it down at the bottom of the contact. They get the treat in front of them. At one point with Star we did a target at the bottom of the contact that had a treat on it.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
I've been using a little see-through plastic lid as a target, but she had me fade the treats after he learned to touch it... so then he touches, but turns and look up for the treat.  I'm wondering if that makes it too complex. 

Although he was coming in kind of fast when the treat was there, moving the target, etc.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »
Dash has to compensate for my less-accurate aim, so I'll spit because I'm rewarding a sit or a contact - but then he pops up or lunges to the side to catch the treat.

I know there is it concept of "Click for action, reward for position" but there's nothing wrong (IMO) with him getting of the contact to get his treat - if you marked the behvior, where the reward comes is irrelevant - doesn't matter where he is...
Zuke's mini natural's don't want to stay put when I pucker up and blow, lol.

Try Rolling your tounge around the *one* that goes flying...more control. And practice without the dog :-)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
LOL.. I can't really roll my tongue (I have one of those lame "genetically" flat tongues, lol) though I try to push it up and forward so it is being rolled by my pucker, if that makes sense.

Haven't practiced w/out Dash yet... hmm, better do that in the front yard, so the mess can get picked up by all our friendly wildlife  ;D

Good to know that rewarding out of position isn't a horrible thing, since I have already marked the behavior.  And I guess it's better than handing him the treats, which always has him veering to my hand - a little more variety in which way he goes for his treats this way  :yes:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

highdrama

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
Okay let me get this straight...you SPIT at your dog?!   :eek:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy