Author Topic: Chocolate Toxicity  (Read 4800 times)

Bers

  • Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 4878
  • DEADHEAD
Chocolate Toxicity
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:33:26 PM »
Source: http://tafkac.org/animals/chocolate_and_dogs.html

Quote
It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis.

Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a myocardial infarct which can kill the dog.

Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause internal bleeding which in some cases kills them a day or so later.

Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600 mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body weight no deaths have been observed.

Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a long time for the body to filter out. Because theobromine is eliminated through the liver rather than through the kidneys, it takes a long time to eliminate it.

Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay.

In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated in the feces. Burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in hand) toast will do. 


This post was contributed by Julia (BoxerWB)
Amber


HayleyDani

  • Potty Trained
  • **
  • Posts: 416
  • Tara...Leyla´s big little sis!!
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:43:20 AM »
My mum gives chocolate to her dog, i have warned her of the risks, but she gave it to her previous dog, who was fine and lived to 15. How come the chocolate doesn´t affect them? Or doesn´t show any signs that it affects them?
Leyla 6th October 2007 - 23rd May 2008

Forever in our hearts beautiful girl

BoxerPerson

  • Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • ***
  • Posts: 24423
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:01:25 AM »
Depends on the chocolate.  Bakers chocolate, one used in cooking is the worse.  I don't give ANY chocolate to mine...just in case!!!  Print this article off and give to your mom to read.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

  • Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 4878
  • DEADHEAD
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
Pure chocolate is toxic. When given in smaller doses it often doesn't cause any symptoms. HOWEVER, it is NOT good for them at any dose. AND, when you give it to them for a treat it makes them want more of it. That means, they may get into a lot of chocolate by accident one day, and may eat enough for it to be fatal. It isn't worth the risk. Especially when there are so many things they love that you can feel good about giving them - meat, cheese, fruits and veggies.
Amber


Sway9603

  • Guest
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »
My mum gives chocolate to her dog, i have warned her of the risks, but she gave it to her previous dog, who was fine and lived to 15. How come the chocolate doesn´t affect them? Or doesn´t show any signs that it affects them?

It depends on the amount and the type.  Milk chocolate (like hershey bars, m&m's, etc) can be handled very easily because it has so much milk and sugar that it "waters" down the chocolate so to speak.  It would take ALOT of milk chocolate to kill a dog.  If say, an average size boxer was to eat a whole hershey bar, he'd probably just get the big D and maybe throw up.  Most likely wouldnt kill him though.

Dark chocolate is more pure and cant be handled as easily.

bakers chocolate though can kill a dog.  About 1 square can cause heart failure.

Sway9603

  • Guest
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
Here we go, I found the source that I got that info from....

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.


Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.

Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

Sway9603

  • Guest
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
Another good site.  You can go by your dogs weight and see how much chocolate it woudl take to kill them.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive

Too bad that the first picture of the "dobie puppy" Is a doxie!  Idiots  :wall:

moorea

  • Fully Weaned
  • *
  • Posts: 254
    • http://www.mlaperformancedogs.com
Re: Chocolate Toxicity
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
You must also watch out for the cocoa mulch that is toxic too!
Melissa
Owned by Moorea TFE-I, FDCH-S,CGC also owned by Angel SD,JD,FD and Lexi TF-I,FD. And Isabella (skin kid) born 2/23/2009.
Proud member of Rev it Up Flyball Team and BADD