Author Topic: Where do you keep your crates??  (Read 2469 times)

highdrama

Re: Where do you keep your crates??
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
Our dogs are crated overnight so we keep them up all the time but they are built in to a cupboard that has sliding doors in our study.  Every night the doors are slid right open and left that way until the morning.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
I used to keep the crate in the kitchen .Edy is never crated anymore so now it is in the finished basement , Edy never goes in there anymore but it is kept open just incase she wants to get away from us .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Dixiestar07

• Potty Trained
  • Sitting Pretty!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »
 :hijack:  Lisa just a question but what is a mail living room? hehehe

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »
I have 3 in my dining room...right by the door.  They are only in them when I am gone.  Goofy has the freedom (doubt I could get him in a crate if I could find one large enuff :eek:) to roam.

When Phoebe was a puppy I had a small crate I kept her in in my bedroom.  She never cried, but dod cough, and I would keep her where she was able to sniff me & Ollie.  Worked great, cuz she NEVER cried and went into it when she was tired as a pup.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
I don't want to keep it in my bedroom initially...b/c Bella was a MISS LOUDY LOUDERSON when she was first getting used to her crate.  It was a couple weeks before I got a decent night's sleep....so I want to test the little guy out somewhere else before I would consider putting him in my bed room.  BUT....Bella will be crated right beside him, so he won't be "alone."
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
Well you will get a crappy nights sleep for a while anyways - remember the little guy will come home before he's old enough to hold it all night long!  I'm guessing you'll be up 3 times a night to start.. you might consider setting an alarm if you want to regulate it a bit (subject to change for individual puppy needs).

I'd make sure if you aren't keeping his crate in your room then be sure you can at least hear him in case he starts crying 'cause he has to potty in the middle of the night.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Yeah...I was up 2 and sometimes 3 times a night with Bella.  I would set my alarm for about every 3 hours (got to bed at 10, up at 1, again at 3....and then maybe a 3rd time if she was crying, and then wake up for the day at 6ish).  I am going to try that with the new one and see if that schedule will work too....

I'll just have to wait until I can get a good gauge of exactly how my space will be laid out....to figure out where I'm going to keep the crates.

*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »
With Jack, I put him in his crate when we went to bed. Then, after he got up the first time each night, I would sleep on the floor with him (he wasn't in his crate). I slept on the floor because our dogs aren't allowed on the beds.

He only got up one time for three nights and after that he slept through the night in his crate. He hasn't been up to go out at night since then.

Heather was already putting the puppies in crates so I'm sure that helped.

Kerri

Jack & Freya

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »
That is so cute Kerri, sleeping on the floor with little Jack.   :yes:  Jack sure got a good home :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Joyce

PradazPurdy

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
Ours are side-by-side in the living room. We don't really have much of a choice... few places to choose from in a dinky trailer. :brood:

I'd say, as long as you keep the crates together, the place where they're located is not as important. Company is better than no company for a pup. And really - the only time the pup would be in the crate would be when you weren't home (and probably at night), right? I understand with training & the such... but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you properly introduce the crate & the pup is crated near Bella, you shouldn't have any problems. :)
SARA ♥ Prada (1.14.07), Nico (3.29.07) & Chanel No. 5 (6.15.08) ♥

♥ Skin-Baby: Aidan William (3.19.09) ♥

highdrama

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
What a breeze it must be to have had the puppies in crates before they come to you.  You're a star Heather!

macsmom

• Potty Trained
  • May we help you?
    • Our life with our dogs
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Mac is only crated when we are not home - his crate was in our bedroom but when we started showing the house we moved it to our unfinished basement...and to our surprise Mac loves it down there...he goes right down the stairs and in the crate without any prompting from us in the mornigns after his trip outside and he never whines anymore when he is in it...before we had to put him in the crate and then run out the door before he started making a racket but now he never makes a sound....
Mac - Fawn Boxer, Cheese- Boxer/Golden RetrieverX

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »
My two are in the spare room, next to each other.

They are only in them when we are out during the day and they sleep in them at night but the gate is open at night so they can come out if they want too.

fxmunoz

• Fully Weaned
  • Bruno 03/22/08
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 06:13:22 AM »
I live in an apartment so my create goes in the balcony although Bruno does not like it at all.

Waylon and Zoes Mom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
My crates are in my bedroom.  But I rarely use them anymore.  They're more like storage/catch-all shelves now.  haha
Heather~Mom to:
Waylon, Zoe, & Gizmo