Author Topic: Obnoxious Abby  (Read 541 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Obnoxious Abby
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
I know we've talled about this before...but I cant find the post so I am going to ask again.

On saturday Zoe's boyfriend Harley came over for a play session.  Well....Abby was sooooo obnoxious...she was barking non stop at him. We eventually had to leash her because he was getting testy with her barking right in his ear. She wasnt being mean or aggressive, just annoying and trying to get him to play and chase her by barking her head off!

After about a 1/2 we let her go and she seemed better. I dont know if she wore herself out or what. Is this just a socialization issue?  She doesnt bark at Zoe when they play...well not as much anyways.  ::)
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

vroom

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Obnoxious Abby
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
not sure - maybe territorial? 
Silly Abby!
Dogs:  Bronco Valentine and Stella Moon
Cats:  Maximus MooMoo and Jack of Hearts
Forever missing Butterscotch - 11/4/95 - 7/08/09

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »
Sounds like socialization/manners - she is over stimulated by the presence of a new playmate and is basically spazzing out.  Sounds like leashing her until the novelty has worn off (or down) may be a good solution.  Perhaps if Harley comes over more frequently it'll die down? 

Harley telling her off for the annoying behavior might have been a good thing to let happen. Hard to judge without being there, of course, but if Harley is fairly easy going I think he'd be likely to correct her naughtiness. 

If you have any concerns that he'd go overboard and do her harm, then I'd stick w/leashing for sure.

Actually sounds like what Dash did to Xena the first few days he lived with us - he was barking and even snapping at her trying to engage play and she just kept royally telling him off.  After a couple days of this, he toned it down to "annoying little brother" range rather than "jerk who doesn't have any manners" heights!  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
  • Kiss me Hulk or I won't let you up!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
I agree Hulk and Storm both have playmates (each a friend of theirs). For example if Storm's friend is here and Hulk is doing is constant box (he gets really excited and will do what we call the double box) then he just gets time in the kennel to settle down, re-group and then we try again. If he still can't settle down then he has to stay inside during her play session and vice versa. I totally believe in letting each of them have their "own" time. The are best friends and are together 24/7-one hour for Abby in the house or kennel is not going to hurt her. Just make sure that she gets alone time too-maybe take Abby for a walk alone after Zoe's friend leaves.
Our days our long we eat, sleep, wrestle, sleep and do all over.
Hulk and Storm

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
When I had that Pug mix here the other day Bugsy was getting really wild too.  There were quite a few times I had to grab his collar and make him lay down until he cooled off.
Vicky

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
I should add that Bugsy is awesome around people.  His manners are flawless.  But, when another dog is around he is a loose caboose!  ::)
Vicky

highdrama

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »
Sounds a wee bit bratty to me.  Oh dear.  Silly sosage.