Author Topic: OTC Meds for Pets  (Read 7442 times)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
OTC Meds for Pets
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:32:05 PM »
Source: http://www.wynsumgsd.com/meds.html - some items slightly modified for easy reading/clarity.

Although the below medications are considered generally safe for use in most pets, every medication carries some risk of side effects and/or reactions. As always, use caution when giving your pet any medications. If you have any questions or additional concerns, consult a veterinarian before using over-the-counter medications.

Buffered Aspirin,Ecotrin,Ascriptin
Use: Pain relief, anti-inflammatory
Dosage:5 mg per pound every 12 hours

Vitamin B
Use: Appetite stimulant
Dosage: 1/2 to 2 ml subcutaneously every 24 hours

Benadryl
Use: Allergies, itching, reaction to insect stings, etc. *hives, minor swelling
Dosage: 1 to 2 mg per pound body weight every 8 hours

Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
Use: Induce vomiting after ingestion of a poison
Dosage: 10 ml by mouth every 15 minutes

Pepto Bismol
Use: Vomiting, gas, or diarrhea
Dosage: 1 tsp. per 5 pounds every 6 hours

Maalox
Use: Antacid and anti-gas
Dosage: Up to 4 tbs. every 8 hours

Mineral Oil
Use: To eliminate constipation
Dosage: Up to 4 tbs daily

Kaopectate
Use: Diarrhea
Dosage: 1 ml per pound every 2 hours

Imodium
Use: Diarrhea
Dosage: Follow child dosage instructions

Tylenol (acetaminophen)
DO NOT USE

Ibuprophin, Motrin, Nuprin
DO NOT USE

This post was contributed by Julia (BoxerWB)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:48:05 AM by Bers »
Amber

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Re: OTC Meds for Pets
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »
I want to add on the Hydrogen Peroxide.

For a 50 lb dog is 25 cc.   (there are dosages)   there 5 cc in a tablespoon so we were instructed to give 5 tablespoons.   However they told us to only start with 2-3 and wait to see.   No more than 6 tablespoons because that is the the max.

Just thought I would post on dosage.    Darn underware eating dog!!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Dixiestar07

• Potty Trained
  • Sitting Pretty!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:04:57 PM »
Just a question, do you all give childrens benadryl or adult? Cheyenne won't take the adult benadryl so I've been having to give her the childrens chewables or the childrens meltaway....I guess it tastes like treats to her...

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:07 AM »
I give regular strength Benadryl liquid caps. You can train a dog to take medicine the same way you train them to do other things. Koda's been taking pills since he was about 4 months old. I tell him to "take your medicine", he more or less opens his mouth, I put in the pill and he swallows as long as I put it back far enough. Joe still doesn't get this and he still tries to put the pill down Koda's throat, which makes him gag and spit it back out. ::)

I think if you use children's chewable it would cost a lot more money.
Amber

BuckAndCalliesBro

• Vet Checked
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »
Errr....k.... I'd stay away from the Kaopectate entirely.  There are some dogs, and even some breeds for that matter, that are highly sensitive to salicylates--highly sensitive as in, deaths have occurred.  So just to be safe, I would advocate avoiding anything with Bismuth Salicylate in it period.

Further, I know this is a boxer forum, but this advice goes double for all breeds of cats.

And to clarify, this pertains to the new formulation of Kaopectate.  I say new only because the old formulation did not contain this substance and thus was not toxic.  And to my knowledge, you cannot get the old stuff anymore--haven't been able to for several years now.

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »
In response to your posted concern regarding the use of Kaopectate to control diarrhea in pets, we've done some research. We have found information that confirms the recent (within the last five years) addition of bismuth subsalicylate, an aspirin derivative. This substance is not recommended for use in cats, and may cause reactions in some dogs. However, aspirin and its derivatives are still considered safe for use in most dogs. Please see the following warning from PetEducation.com:

"Cats typically do not metabolize and excrete many compounds, including aspirin, efficiently, which means we are much more likely to have effects," Dr. Hansen said. Dogs that may have an allergy to aspirin should not be given the new formulation. Also, those dogs that are taking aspirin, steroids, or another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as Rimadyl, EtoGesic, or Deramaxx should not be given the new formulation.

For the full article on potential dangers associated with this medication: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1275&articleid=3016

As always, use caution when giving your pet any medications. If you have any questions or additional concerns, consult a veterinarian before using over-the-counter medications.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:44:40 AM by Bers »
Amber

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »
For a 50 lb dog is 25 cc.   (there are dosages)   there 5 cc in a tablespoon so we were instructed to give 5 tablespoons.   However they told us to only start with 2-3 and wait to see.   No more than 6 tablespoons because that is the the max.
Actually there are five ml or cc per teaspoon, and three teaspoons per tablespoon so 15 ml or cc per tablespoon.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:09:29 PM »
That sounds about right, because we were told to give one tsp. for every five pounds of body weight. Five tablespoons would be way too much, according to the dosing instructions we were given from the emergency vet.
Amber

moorea

• Fully Weaned
    • http://www.mlaperformancedogs.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 11:39:49 PM »
What a great posting.  But the Pepto Bismol isn't good for dogs.  All the vets I have ever worked for said you should never give Pepto.
Melissa
Owned by Moorea TFE-I, FDCH-S,CGC also owned by Angel SD,JD,FD and Lexi TF-I,FD. And Isabella (skin kid) born 2/23/2009.
Proud member of Rev it Up Flyball Team and BADD

bhatampa

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
Great information to have! Thanks,  ;D

Heidi-n-Koby

• Retired Member
  • Moved On
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
Just a question, do you all give childrens benadryl or adult? Cheyenne won't take the adult benadryl so I've been having to give her the childrens chewables or the childrens meltaway....I guess it tastes like treats to her...

I use both.  Childrens liquid benydryl for the min pins because the dosing is MUCH easier.  But I use regular 25 mg pills for the boxers.  Usually 1 pill does the trick for the occasional reverse sneezing that they get.

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
What a great posting.  But the Pepto Bismol isn't good for dogs.  All the vets I have ever worked for said you should never give Pepto.

Here is some information about using Pepto Bismol for dogs:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1303+1459&aid=1456

If you aren't comfortable using it, then I recommend avoiding it. But it is commonly used in dogs, even though it may have side effects, like almost any medication you could give your pet has possible side effects.
Amber

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
OK, has anyone noticed the 2 links regarding pepto conflict?

Based on the link in the OP, you would give 1 tsp of pepto/ 5 pounds. So if a dog is 50 pounds, they would get 10 tsp????!!!! Which would be about 3 tablespoons.

In the last link from Drs. F&S....it says .5ml/pound. Which would mean 2.5ml/5lbs, which is a 1/2 teaspoon/5lbs. So for a dog that is 50 pounds, that would be 5 teaspoons - which is almost 2 tablespoons.

I'm confused, and my math is probably wrong (I blame it on too much work lately), but something seemed wrong here. So help me out.....am I totally losing it?

Our vet prescribed 1 (10mg) tablet of pepcid AC for Rubi. So, I don't use Pepto, but just worry incase there is conflicting info and someone follows the guidelines. Of course, always best to seek advice from your vet before following anything on the internet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:05:38 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

gotlucky

• Just Whelped
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
I use 10mg of Pepcid AC every day for my dog. It helps with vomiting/nausea and acid reflux. My vet said it is one of the safest meds for dogs to take as it comes with extremely low side effects. Of course like any med there can be exceptions!

gotlucky

• Just Whelped
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:00:21 AM »
Sorry, I didn't realize I bumped this older topic!