Author Topic: Beware of Boxerville's Boxers!  (Read 9085 times)

NatashasMamma

• Just Whelped
    • Nicole Gilreath Photography
Beware of Boxerville's Boxers!
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
Hello all, I'm new & not sure if this is the correct forum to post in. I adopted a female Boxer from Boxerville's Boxers 3 years ago. They are located in Covington, Ohio...near Dayton. Natasha was already 4 years old & was being retired from their breeding program (only due to needing a c-section on her last delivery). They didn't even specify that she be placed as a pet only, that should have told me something right there! When I picked her up, they were very nice & seemed reputable, they even asked me to stay in touch so that they could hear how she was doing. I sent them a few emails over the first few months, but never heard back from them. I just figured that they were busy.

Natasha is now 7 yrs old. She was diagnosed w/ Hyperplasia a few months ago & we spent over $1000. on that surgery. During a routine follow up our vet detected a heart murmur & after a heart echo was diagnosed w/ Stenosis. A week later Natasha developed an ulcer on her eye that we are still treating. Then last week she passed out & after Holter Monitoring was diagnosed w/ Cardiomyopathy. I sent an email to the breeder, just to let them know about all these genetic conditions, I figured that they wouldn't want to knowingly continue breeding her offspring. They didn't answer. I ended up emailing them thru Breeders.net, a breeder refferal site & that was the only time they responded. I checked & their email address is the same as it's always been. What really makes me angry is that they never even acknowledged any of these issues! They just said that she looked good in the pic that I sent them and they were glad to hear from me...no questions about her condition and no assurances that they weren't using her offspring to breed. They claim that their dogs have no heart defects, yet this is clearly NOT the case. If you are considering purchasing a puppy from them, please think twice & DO RESEARCH! My vet said that everything Natasha is suffering from could be completely eradicated from Boxers if all breeders would do genetic testing & screening...which truly responsible & reputable breeders all do!

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Beware of Boxerville's Boxers!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
Oh my, that is terrible news.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I think this is a classic case of not knowing anything about breeding practices and being duped by a BYB (backyard breeder).  They notoriously do not check for health conditions or are not in it for bettering the breed...only the money.  Unfortunately, some of us have also been duped before and had to suffer the consequences of our dogs not being healthy, and sometimes dying.

I truly feel for you.  I think this is definitely a good forum to be on to learn from your mistakes.  There are lots of knowledgeable, people on here, including breeders.

Once again, sorry to hear the news about Natasha.  You are an angel for providing such great care to her. :angel:
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum..sorry to hear about Natasha's health problems, bless you for taking care of her now.  :angel:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:36:04 PM by r.fuentes »
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about all of Natasha's health problems!  It sounds like Boxerville Boxer's is a BYB, if not a puppy mill.  Most of us on here have made the mistake of purchasing a puppy from a less than reputable breeder and our dogs have suffered the consequences (our 4.5 year old, Jax came from a BYB and he is epileptic and is on medication permanently to control his seizures). 

Since coming to this forum I have learned my lesson and we purchased our other boxer, Brody, from a responsible breeder who shows and health tests.  Before coming here, I knew the difference between BYBs and responsible breeders, but I didn't know the consequences of the BYB breedings - now I see it all the time here with health conditions and shorter lifespans.

I'm really glad that you were able to adopt Natasha and give her a great home!!  You definitely sound like a guardian angel for her.
Riley - 9/19/2008

kimmer

• Socialized
  • What's not to Love?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
Oh I am so sorry you have to go through this with Natasha.  The thing that really irks me is the non response from the "breeder".  You are an angle for taking care of her so well.  Hugs to you and your family :smitten:

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about the crappy breeders you got Natasha from . But thankfully you are taking good care of her now .

I just want to add thay Gingival hyperplasia ( if that is what you mean ) is not something you can screen for . It is common in all breeds with an undershot jaw .
Also boxers are prone to corneal ulcers just because their eyes can tend to be a bit protruded , also something you can not screen for . Although you can screen for genetic eye problems such as  PRA .

I totally agree that the heart can be screened for problems , an echo of the heart can tell you if there is AS ( aortic stenosis ) or SAS ( sub aortic stenosis) . A murmur is sometimes the warning sign there may be a problem .
The holter should be done on ALL breeding animals , while it can not guarantee no heart problems it can tell you when there is a problem .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

amandaw

• Vet Checked
    • see more of Bentley and Tia...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Natasha's condition. I hope the road ahead of you is the least painful possible. Don't be too hard on yourself for trusting these people. We, too, were duped by an irrespondible breeder even though I THOUGHT I was doing everything right and asking all the right questions (she was a Dobie, not a Boxer, but that doesn't lessen the pain of attachment and loss or the burden of responsibility). It's important for people who choose to work with breeders to hear your story, so they know what IS expected of good breeders and why it's so important to support them.

shm87

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum...I'm sorry to hear about Natasha's health. Sounds like she has a great home with you and your family though :)
Sue~Bailey, Guinness and Finnegan

NatashasMamma

• Just Whelped
    • Nicole Gilreath Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement!!! You guys are so right about learning from our mistakes and the consequences of BYB breedings. I just hope that someone considering purchasing a puppy from a breeder reads this. I thought I knew what to look for, but I was wrong...it's so easy to be duped by a BYB. They can come across as "good people" & seem knowledgable...heck, they might even have good intentions but lack education about responsible breeding. I can't emphasize enough the importance of asking for & actually viewing health tests done on the breeding adults!!!!!

Also--thanks Bruins_Boxer for the health screening info. It does make me feel a little better that some of Tasha's problems could not have been forseen...our poor baby just has the worst luck!

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
...it's so easy to be duped by a BYB. They can come across as "good people" & seem knowledgable...heck, they might even have good intentions but lack education about responsible breeding. 
:yes:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »
Boxerville's Boxer's

Additional Information:

I have no pups available at this time, will have more in the summer of 08.
90lb male available for stud.

wt?  isn't that excessive weight for a boxer?   :eek:

you are truly natasha's angel momma  :smitten:

i know it's expensive to care for her, but just imagine if she was still at that breeders.  she'd be put out to pasture and ignored.  what a horrible life she would have had.  you saved her  :smitten:

TobysMomma

• Vet Checked
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
Your story is so sad but so common.  :'(  I know all to well the heartache of dealing with cardiomyopathy. It is brutal to say the least. Just know that it is much harder on us than the affected dog who generally do not suffer any pain from the condition, though their lives are cut short.  :bigcry: Is she on beta blockers now? Everyday we have them with us is such a blessing and Natasha is so blessed to have you to love and care for her. I am thankful that she will know love and comfort right up to the end. I wish all our beloved boxers could be so blessed.  :angel:
Please Support Boxer Rescue
http://www.ncbr.org/ca/index.php
Lori Momma to Ajay, Bo and current foster girl Blanca
Toby and Ayla forever in my heart

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
I'm very sorry that you had a poor experience, and I'm even more sorry every time I hear about individuals like this that are located so close to me. :( Regardless of the fact that I've worked in rescue and seen the dogs come through, regardless of the fact that I see them advertise in the papers, online and at the grocery store (I rip these flyers down!), somehow, it hits me each and every time I hear it.

Sending nothing but the best thoughts that your girl lives a long life with you. You are doing the right thing by her by running the holters, doing the echoes and having her put on meds.  :angel:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »
Unfortunately we have more than our fair share of these types in Ohio. :'( And so many people are taken in. I wonder if it's something that will ever be stopped....
Amber

PawPrint

• Just Whelped
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »
Just to give a follow up. Another person has a young 18 month old Boxer from these same breeders. At least, they personally identified them as the breeders. She is having such severe temperament issues with this young 18 month old she is considering having her put down. They are at least the 2nd owner (if not the 3rd owner) for this same young girl. She has been tossed about and even was planned to be bred. She has snapped at adults and now has bit a child 3 times. So death seems to be her fate.

Same breeder.......same sad story I have heard far too many times from so many other disreputable types. :(