Author Topic: KS (Kansas City) - Man Wins Dog Back After DNA Test Proves Dog Isn't Pit Bull  (Read 1156 times)

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
The dog in question is a Boxer mix....

http://tinyurl.com/2npm3g

Chalk a victory up for man's best friend in Kansas City , Kansas .  A man just won his eight month legal battle with the city to keep his dog after proving it wasn't a pit bull.

For the last eight months, Niko has been living in the KCK Animal Control Kennels while his owners fought with the city.  Animal Control said the dog violated the pit bull ban, but the dog's owner has said all along the dog is actually a boxer  mix.

Niko has only been a free dog for a couple of days.  Mike Johnson said it's obvious that eight months in the pound was tough on Niko.

"He lost some fur and has quite a bit of a cough," Johnson said. "He lost about 10-15 pounds."

This all started because the family put up an ad trying to find Niko a new home.  Animal Control saw the ad and confiscated the dog, calling it a pit bull, even though paperwork called the dog a boxer.....

(continued at link)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Aww, can't read the rest of the story (site blocked~at work)!  :P
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Oh, sorry!

Chalk a victory up for man's best friend in Kansas City, Kansas.  A man just won his eight month legal battle with the city to keep his dog after proving it wasn't a pit bull.

For the last eight months, Niko has been living in the KCK Animal Control Kennels while his owners fought with the city.  Animal Control said the dog violated the pit bull ban, but the dog's owner has said all along the dog is actually a boxer mix.

Niko has only been a free dog for a couple of days.  Mike Johnson said it's obvious that eight months in the pound was tough on Niko.

"He lost some fur and has quite a bit of a cough," Johnson said. "He lost about 10-15 pounds."

This all started because the family put up an ad trying to find Niko a new home.  Animal Control saw the ad and confiscated the dog, calling it a pit bull, even though paperwork called the dog a boxer.

After months of legal wrangling and a DNA test, all charges have been dropped and now they plan on keeping Niko for good.

"I don't feel it's fair at all," Johnson said. "For one they took our dog. We had documentation what type of dog it was but they wouldn't even look at that."

"People like Mike and Amy get caught in this loop, they actually had criminal charges brought up against them," Cheryl Buell with KC Dog Advocates said.

Buell said this shows pit bull bans are hard to enforce and that's exactly why other cities are changing laws, like Edwardsville, which just changed its ordinance Monday night, removing the pit bull ban.

"Beefing up their dangerous dog ordinance, make sure the people with dangerous dogs are held accountable, those are the people you want to punish fine," Buell said.

Buell wants KCK to re-examine its ordinance.

"It was hard on the dog and the people involved and a huge waste of tax money and it didn't accomplish anything because it wasn't a vicious dog to begin with," she said.

A KCK spokesman said the pit bull ban is there to protect people.  It was only a year and a half ago that a 71-year-old woman was attacked and killed by a pit bull in KCK.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Thanks Jennifer!

"I don't feel it's fair at all," Johnson said. "For one they took our dog. We had documentation what type of dog it was but they wouldn't even look at that."

Grrrr!  :no:

"It was hard on the dog and the people involved and a huge waste of tax money and it didn't accomplish anything because it wasn't a vicious dog to begin with," she said.

:thumbsdown:

What a nightmare! Glad the family fought to get Niko back!

RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
What the hell. That is so wrong on may levels! Poor Niko, locked up for nuthin. :no:
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
I am glad the family fought back and WON  :thumbsup: .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Poor baby...I am so glad Johnson won his case.  How sad they just ban a breed without a bit of concern as to whether the dog has a good temperment!  Sick and WRONG!!!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
That is really disturbing.  To think your loving, family pet could be taken away, based solely on what breed it is.  A prime example of how too much government is not a good thing, IMO.   :thumbsdown:  I'm really happy this family decided to go to bat for their dog and won.  I wonder why they wanted to re-home him in the first place though?
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
To think your loving, family pet could be taken away, based solely on what breed it is.

Not even that, but on what breed the animal control officer (who in most cases is not a dog expert and often doesn't even like dogs) *thinks* it is.  Most BSL puts the burden of proof on the owner, not the ACO, to establish breed - guilty before proven innocent, in other words.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd