Author Topic: food aggression  (Read 557 times)

Bruschi

• Fully Weaned
food aggression
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »
Brandi had her first marrow bone today but not without a bit of "Hey, why does she get my stuff?" from Bru.  As soon as we arrived home from food shopping Bru knew we had some marrow bones and was getting upset when Brandi went to sniff the grocery bags, #1.  Once we had the shopping put away and pulled out the bones Bru was nervous.  I picked up on this and decided to separate them while they enjoyed their bones. 

Those of you with two or more dogs, how do you deal with this?  It's not a big deal to me to separate them but would love for them to share like they do with bully sticks.  what the difference in the two? 

By the way, I scooped most of the marrow out of Brandi's bone seeing it was the first time she has had one and is still young for all the richness and substitute with peanut butter, she loved it!!!!

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: food aggression
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
sounds like you did the right thing. I would watch carefully and correct his behavior.

Maybe he thinks bones are a higher value item than bullies?
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Bruschi

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »

Maybe he thinks bones are a higher value item than bullies?

Thats what I was thinking.

How do you get them to the point where they can lay beside eachother without getting upset that the other may steal their bone?  or is it possible?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
It takes time for them to eat their goodies next to each other and some times never!  Just let them decide when it is appropriate.  I always start separated and somehow they seem to end up next to each other...go figure!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
Hey there - I think marrow bones are super high value to most any pups, or at least kibble-fed ones who don't see marrow bones that often.  I crate Dash (he could give two hoots, he's too busy obsessing) and put Xena on a blanket across the room.  They *can* get worked up, so once they clean them out I trash them and no one can squabble. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
Mine will chew their bones and then wander to the other and "exchange" them.  Zeus will growl and grump, but he has never snapped or gotten worked up.  The neighbor's Samoyes will take Zeus's bones right out of his mouth.  She is the only one who gets worked up about the bones.
Vicky

Bruschi

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
Yup, I think I'll just keep them separated.  Brandi was in the kitchen and Bru was in the den sererated by a gate and Brandi eventually went into her crate to eat it but would go over to the gate to check out Bru and then go back so if I keep her in the crate and Bru in the kitchen next to her maybe they can relax.

Thanks for the tips girls :thumbsup:

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
I crate Powie, Sadie & Ty go their own way..then end up next to each other!
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
We always have marrow issues.  Most likely because Hanna will steal Kash's and then horde two.  He get cranky tried to get his and she will be mean.  So I have to take them all away.

I have started to give them bones in separate rooms.  Seems to be working but you have to keep an eye on them.  I could never give them unattended - they are a scandelous item in my house!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »
i let mine both smell the bag and they get all excited knowing what's in there.  they both know they have to WAIT, so they're very good.   the sniff lets them know it's coming.

i've never had food agression problems.  Mine can eat out of the same bowl no matter what the food value.  Even when thor gulps his raw, he'll sleeze over to vetties bowl and try to sneak her food too.  she just lets him or they lick the same bowl.

when i give them bones, i throw them down and let them decide which one wants which.  they sometimes argue over one that's been 'broken in' by the other, but they don't fight.  i tell them to cut the crap and work it out ;)

maybe it's the peanut butter on the spoon that i use to introduce two dogs to each other?  they're so busy licking and smelling, if they don't want the other to get it all, they have to cooperate!

claire's seen mine eat out of the same bowl  ;D