Author Topic: Florida spay/netuer proposal  (Read 1041 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Florida spay/netuer proposal
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
For anyone living in Fl .

Pet neutering measures OK'd by Palm Beach County By Mark Hollis |
Sun-Sentinel.com

3:25 PM EST, January 15, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH - Palm Beach County commissioners on Tuesday  tentatively approved a controversial ordinance to encourage more dogs and cats to  be sterilized.

The decision came over protests from dog breeders and veterinarians who  said the measure won't reduce the number of pets destroyed at the county's  animal shelter and who said it interferes too much in their businesses.

Republican Bob Kanjian was the lone dissenter in the 6-1 vote, arguing that the measure is unconstitutional.

Before the measure can take effect, it must be voted again by commissioners at another public hearing, likely in February.

Under the ordinance, breeders would be mandated to obtain a breeder permit, which some could receive for free. They would be banned from breeding more than two litters of puppies and kittens each year, and would be required to give county officials the names, addresses and phone numbers of the people who buy the pets.

Breeders would have 90 days to register with the county. After a 90-day grace period, a breeder permit would cost $150, and $75 per animal for an unaltered license tag. If found in violation, breeders could lose their permits and face fines.

Breeders, veterinarians, animals-rights activists and others testified to commissioners at Tuesday's hearing.

Mark Dew, a Wellington veterinarian, argued against the plan, joining others in saying that it does too little to police inappropriate animal-care giving and is too punitive against breeders.

"The lion's share of this problem is not pets in the health-care system, it's the irresponsible people not in the health-care system," said Dew. Making those who are not responsible for the problem pay for the sins of those who are "is not going to get to the heart of this problem," he said.

Nearly 8,700 cats were euthanized at the county's animal shelter last year. The number of dogs killed at the shelter exceeded 4,100.

"The fact of the matter is that we are killing animals," said Commissioner Burt Aaronson, prior to voting in support of the pet-sterilization plan. "It's killing animals, and I don't want to have to see us killing our best friends."

Commissioner Jess Santamaria said the ordinance is "not a perfect solution, but it's a beginning." He and other commissioners supporting the measure cited the numbers of animals sheltered and killed at county animal control facilities.

"Doing nothing is not an option," said Santamaria. "We have to act. We have to do something."

Kanjian repeatedly questioned the constitutionality of the ordinance, and argued that the new rules will be difficult to enforce and unlikely to solve the problem of unwanted and abandoned pets. He also said the measure treats sterilization for dogs and cats equally but said the county primarily has a cat overpopulation problem.

Challenging county statistics on the number of animals sheltered and destroyed at their facility off Belvedere Road west of West Palm Beach, Kanjian accused county leaders of "padding numbers to make it seem like (pet overpopulation) is a bigger problem than what it is."

Kay Lynette Roca, director of Safe Harbor, an animal care facility near Jupiter, blasted Kanjian for his assertions, and urged commissioners to finalize their approval of the ordinance.

"Pet overpopulation is not a myth," she said. "Spay and neuter is the root of all the problems. The issue here is that if you end the overpopulation problem, you've addressed all the other issues (of animal care and control). You've addressed the other issues like animals hit by cars, nuisance cases, cruelty cases."

Thomas Garretson, president of a humane society in Monroe County, which  has imposed a mandatory pet sterilization law, praised county commissioners' steps Tuesday.

"You've now focused on the front of the problem (of pet overpopulation)," Garretson said. "If you eliminate the birth (of pets), you can drive down the numbers of animals sheltered and euthanized."

Before voting on the ordinance, commissioners unanimously approved spending $500,000 more toward animal-control needs, including a voucher program to help low-income residents pay for pet sterilizations and expanding a no-cost spay and neuter clinic in the county's western suburbs. The commissioners also approved a request to expand the number of days the county's Animal Care and Control department operates a mobile, free-spay clinic known as a
Spay Shuttle.

The county elected leaders also backed a plan to hold three 24-hour spay and neuter events for cats. Earlier this month, a similar event, dubbed "Op Around the Clock" resulted in 415 cats sterilized.

Mark Hollis can be reached at mhollis@sun-sentinel.com or 561-228-5512.

Link to Article
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:50:37 PM by Newcastle »
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Florida spay/netuer proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
What a mess this is.   

Breeders would have 90 days to register with the county. After a 90-day grace period, a breeder permit would cost $150, and $75 per animal for an unaltered license tag. If found in violation, breeders could lose their permits and face fines.

So everyone living in Palm Beach County has to decide, within 90 days of this absurdity passing, if they think they might ever at any time in their life want to breed.  Anyone moving into PBC must decide within 90 days of the move. 

"Doing nothing is not an option," said Santamaria. "We have to act. We have to do something."

The first step to "doing something" would be to read Nathan Winograd's "Redemption" and see the truth about the AR agenda, and then work on changing the shelters to no-kill facilities.  Certainly that's going to do more good in the long run, regardless of how many animals are born in PBC.

Some of this falls under the "can anyone really be that stupid?" category...

"You've now focused on the front of the problem (of pet overpopulation)," Garretson said. "If you eliminate the birth (of pets), you can drive down the numbers of animals sheltered and euthanized."

Because if no pets are born in PBC, no one who lives in PBC can obtain a pet from somewhere else, right?   :wall:

Then there's this interview with the PBC Animal Control Director, Diane Sauve - I won't quote the entire thing, but here are some gems:

I would consider this program a success with any reduction. However, I recognize that I'm basically staking my credibility, and the credibility of this agency, on decreasing the number of animals euthanized significantly. But I'm also realistic enough to know that this will take time. It's not going to happen overnight. It's not going to happen in a year. I believe it will be five years before we see a decline, and I believe it will be 10 years before we see significant decline.

Meanwhile there is already a significant decline across the country, without mandatory spay/neuter laws.

This is a choice and not mandatory because the ordinance allows you to opt out if, for some reason, you say: "I value my intact male dog. I believe that his self-esteem would be injured going to the dog park without certain parts of his anatomy," then you can certainly save those two items ... But you will pay for an unaltered tag, and you will sign an affidavit not to breed.

Umm....OK.   ::)

One of the provisions in the ordinance is that if you are a hobby breeder - because, as you guys know, the very vocal resistance from hobby breeders is that they're not the problem, they're responsible, they know where every single dog is every moment of its life, all their dogs have a good life - my challenge is, if you're not the problem, get on the radar. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the people who fall into this other category are not going to get on the radar. The reason for that is because in gaining your hobby permit, background checks are done. I can assure you that the Michael Vicks of the world are not going to be running forward during 90 days to say, "Let me get my breeder's permit."

But they are going to be running forward to say "Let me get my dogs spayed and neutered"?  The people who are deep underground running (federal offense) dog-fighting rings are going to step right up and follow some piddly county law?  Puh-lease.

It is a tool ... Say you've got 10 dogs in your back yard, and none of them is altered. "Do you have a hobby permit? Oh, you don't. Well you have multiple violations here." And, of course, a provision of getting a hobby permit is you cannot have violations. So, it's a tool. OK, you now don't qualify for a hobby breeder license. Are you going to sterilize these animals? Are you going to suddenly pay the penalties that are now due for all these multiple dogs?

Q: They'd be allowed to pay ($75) per dog and keep them intact even without a hobby permit?

A: The answer is, yes, they could. But they would have to sign an affidavit not to breed and because they are now the subject of an investigation for failure to comply with an ordinance, they would be prohibited from moving those animals, which means we're able to go back and keep an eye on those animals. In other words, we will be such a nuisance that you will either surrender your animals to us or you're going to move from Palm Beach County.

Read that again - they will either *surrender the animals* to PBC, thus *increasing* the number of animals that enter the PBC shelters, or they wil move out of PBC, and become "someone else's problem" (unless, of course, they move one county over and continue to sell dogs to people living in the county).

Have people just lost all ability to think critically?  Does anyone really buy this BS?  :wall:
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store