Author Topic: Finally - a *little* agility training!  (Read 1900 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Finally - a *little* agility training!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
I wish - it's only $5 to use open practice and all the equipment at our club, but of course I am pretty sure I'm not allowed to use it (at very least not the big stuff like A-frame) without taking a class first.  I could probably work w/the tunnel/shoot and some jumps though.  Hmm..
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
There are a lot of foundation stuff you can build youself.  Like the block for doing hindend awareness.  Also taking a board and placing it on two cinder blocks to get them used to walking off ground.   We also take a board and put a closet rod under it to create a mini-teeter.  This gets Hanna comfortable with the idea of being unbalanced.  So we work a lot on that stuff at home because we dont need too much room. 
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »
There are a lot of foundation stuff you can build youself.  Like the block for doing hindend awareness.  Also taking a board and placing it on two cinder blocks to get them used to walking off ground.   We also take a board and put a closet rod under it to create a mini-teeter.  This gets Hanna comfortable with the idea of being unbalanced.  So we work a lot on that stuff at home because we dont need too much room. 

Wow those are some good ideas, I'll have to remember those.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
Well looks like I'll be getting a teensy bit more one-on-one training than originally expected - there is a change in schedule and now I can get a full hour.  I just have to keep working in some foundation stuff so that the hour will be worth the $65.  Between that, potentially going to non-club Agility classes and probably buying an airline type crate for Xena at shows, I'm definitely stressing out my personal "fun money."  I can only imagine what'll be like if I really get into this stuff!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
"Fun Money".....ha ha ha ha  What's that???? 

My OT $$ goes to Hanna's traning.  At $65.00 per hour, you got a good deal.   Mine is higher but at a discount because I am in the competitive program along with the privates.  Then there is $20.00 per week hour practice sessions, treats etc.  It aint cheap  - kinda feel like conformation paying handlers, class etc hu??

No Fun Money for the Momma!!   

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
Seriously, we'll start showing up to work w/holes in our "nice" clothes and be like "Oh I just spent $100+ on entry fees for the weekend..)  Eek!!  Of course, this trainer is just passing through, so it won't be a regular thing - not that I could afford it anyways!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
Tell me about it - I literally work thru my lunch M-F to get the OT to pay for Hanna's training.   There's a lot I need however funds channel to her at the moment.  Oh well, at least they are happy, and I enjoy it so I look at it as they are "MY GREEN FEES" in golf terms!!!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
LOL, that's a great way to look at it and it's less expensive than some sports/hobbies!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
Well I had the session this Saturday and have mixed results -

I didn't ask what style training the woman did, and that was a bit of a mistake.  She was a bit harsher than what I like.  We started out working on leash manners around other dogs w/her dog out and about.  She was doing a lot of correcting - it worked quickly, but I don't think I'll be comfortable continuing that way. 

I did learn some new things that I'll be happy to incorporate into our routine - a couple basic exercises to work on recalls and following my hand directions.

Dash was toast by 40 minutes in, completely whipped by all the excitement and brainwork.  He was laying down every chance he got.  So we spent the last 20 minutes doing some "fun" exercises with the tunnel and playing tug for a little frustration release/brainless fun. 

I really like the facility we were in - it's owned by a club member and she does some training there.  I'm going to ask if she only does private training or some small classes too.  She taught Xena's Pre-Rally class, so I know the approach she favors and like her style.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05