Author Topic: Bell training  (Read 915 times)

My Isa Bug

• Potty Trained
Bell training
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
Okay, so I'm ready to give bell training another try.  The first time really didn't go swimmingly and was having trouble because John was out of town a lot and I had to walk both dogs at the same time (Jack's gotten through most of his separation anxieties and I can walk them separately now).

I've been working with her for the past few days and she seems to understand what I'm asking of her, but I think she has an issue with the bell itself.  Has anyone used anything other than an actual bell?  I'm looking for a few other options because Isa seems to be a bit sensitive to loud noises (she won't even play with a Cuz unless I make the squeeker "go away"). 

I would really like to get her bell trained because she doesn't always have clear signals about when she has to go potty.  Jack will stand by the door and then do the potty run between the front door and the bathroom door, but Isa just kinda whines here and there or sometimes sits in front of you with the boo-boo face (both of which she does for other things she's wanting or trying to tell us).
The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty. ~ Barbara Woodhouse

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Bell training
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »
I use a cat toy, in a sock, tied to a shoe string, hanging from the door. Both Archie and Daisy took to it without any problems (except I go thru socks faster with Daisy  ;)). You can use anything that you can hear.
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

My Isa Bug

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:04:36 PM »
I was almost thinking about one of those remote type door bell chimes, the kind you just kind of stick up outside your front door and the chime part you put inside somewhere.  I thought that might be good because I could put the chime part away from the front door so it might not bother her so much.
The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty. ~ Barbara Woodhouse

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »
So you want her to push a button? I never heard/thought of that.
Another idea would be a baby rattle in a sock.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:36:06 AM »
I thought about the doorbell thing too but wondered how Phoebe would push it too.  I touched Phoeb's nose to the bell when I was training her.  It didn't always ring...but she got the hang of it.  Eventually she knew how to do it and if I ignored her she REALLY would ring that sucker.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:12:44 AM »
Very interesting!
I guess the other upside of my way is that it is portable so if we go anywhere we can take it with us and just show the pups where it is and they are good to go (always have a backup in case you forget it  ;))