Author Topic: Train your puppy to ring a bell  (Read 14087 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Train your puppy to ring a bell
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:10 AM »
Keri - That's why the proofing step (ring only for potty) is so crucial to the training process!  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 07:27:33 AM »
Or you can think of it as your exercise program LOL
Phoebe admittedly rings the bell to potty and to go outside...and sometimes I swear just to be annoying...however, I do let her out each time due to the fact you never know and she gets out to play...so the bell has evolved to the "let me out" notice.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
If ours were just outside and ring the bell I tell them to lay down.  If they are persistant I feel that they are telling me they really need to potty and I let them out.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »
Or you can think of it as your exercise program LOL
Phoebe admittedly rings the bell to potty and to go outside...and sometimes I swear just to be annoying...however, I do let her out each time due to the fact you never know and she gets out to play...so the bell has evolved to the "let me out" notice.

I do the same with my doggies too, even though they don't use a bell. Sometimes they ask to go out just to play (not in this weather of course!!), so I will get up and let them out when they ask *within limits*.
Amber

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »
I'd REALLY love to start teaching my Luna to do this. Unfortunately I am hearing impaired (not deaf, just bad hearing...and I'm 27...had hearing problems all my life.)

I, too, am hearing impaired and I know I won't hear the tinkling bells...  I have been following Rex and Mugs into the kitchen when they go in there.  That way I'll see if they go to ring it and be ready with a treat. 

I would think you could teach your dog to do just about anything to get your attention regarding going outside!  Teach her to roll over or something!!   :roflol:

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel:

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »
I taught mine to walk to the door, turn around, and then sit and look at me.  If we are somewhere else, they don't go to the door, but they do sit and look at me.....and I am able to tell by their body language that they mean business.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
Mugs was starting to do that, as well - go to the door and stand and look at us.  Like she is right now.......... 

Mugs rang the bells this morning, too!!   :boing:

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »
...and I am able to tell by their body language that they mean business.

:laugh4: "This is serious business, Mom! I gotta poop!" ... sounds like Aaron and Xena. She goes and "stares a hole in his head" anytime she needs something.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
Yeah...there is definitely a distinctive stare when they are serious versus when they just want to go outside.   :roflol:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »
Yeah...there is definitely a distinctive stare when they are serious versus when they just want to go outside.   :roflol:
Yep, I agree. Otis is a little more antsy right before he plants himself in front of the door (when we are without a bell), and I can just tell what's going on.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Mommy2Luna

• Weanling
  • She looks cute, but wait till you smell her farts!
    • My myspace
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 01:16:43 AM »
I'd REALLY love to start teaching my Luna to do this. Unfortunately I am hearing impaired (not deaf, just bad hearing...and I'm 27...had hearing problems all my life.)

I, too, am hearing impaired and I know I won't hear the tinkling bells...  I have been following Rex and Mugs into the kitchen when they go in there.  That way I'll see if they go to ring it and be ready with a treat. 

I would think you could teach your dog to do just about anything to get your attention regarding going outside!  Teach her to roll over or something!!   :roflol:

Ahaha! Sounds like a good idea...although I'd hope she won't pee herself while rolling. lol. That would be a disaster.

Glad to see a fellow "hearing impaired" boxer owner! :D

DOB-August 9, 2008

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
LOL A big mess indeed!   :laugh4:

Mugs has started to sit at our front door and STARE if we're not in the kitchen.   :stunned:  I made a mistake once of not getting up right away...  She taught me!!!

I was born with the hearing deficit, also, (Thanks, Grandma...), and will never forget the first time I heard the fizz of Coke poured in a glass!  I was a sophomore in HS.  (Just got my first hearing aids...)  It's great for when the kids are fighting, tho...  Just turn them down!!   :earmuffs:

Wendy

Gott2beme

• Just Whelped
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »
Oh I sooo agree on this one!!!

Before we had brought Izzy home, we were visiting with my honey's friends and their older dog had went up to the bell hanging on their door handle and pawed at it.  I laughed!  I was amazed!!  They said it was the best thing they could of ever learned!!

So when we picked Izzy up, the breeder gave us a little bag of things to take home....a bell on a long string was included with a paper from their vet on how to "bell train."

I am happy and proud to say.......Izzy has been ringing the bell to go outside now for 2 weeks....she's only 11 weeks old!  I had told my daughter about training her boxer baby the same way and....well.....I'm a mom I know nothing!!!  LOL  Her pup is 18 weeks old and they still have problems! 

I use to train pups the old fashion way......catch 'em quick!  LOL  But this is truly the best way!!
Look to this day For yesterday is already a dream tomorrow only a vision but today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness every tomorrow a vision of hope Look well therefore to this day

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Good job, Izzy!
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

VANCE

• Weanling
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »
maximus will ring the bell when he has to potty about 75% of the time.the other times he will make a grunting sound

when he just wants to go outside & play he will ring it 100% of the time :wall: