Author Topic: Train your puppy to ring a bell  (Read 14086 times)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Train your puppy to ring a bell
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:15:11 PM »
How to Bell Train

1. Select your bell make sure the object is at a height your puppy can easily reach. The best location for the bell is either on the door itself or next to it. I choise a plastic change purse and a couple pennies because it was at hand, and have it hanging directly from the door handle.

2. Develop a "go out to potty" phrase. I ask Xena "Do you need to go out?"

3. Ring the bell yourself. Each time you bring the puppy to the door for a potty trip, say your potty phrase, ring the bell and give a treat. This way they associate the phrase and the action of going out with the noise. Repeat this as needed.

4. When you believe your pup is catching on, begin to coax the dog to nose or ring the bell itself. How you teach this can vary. I touched the "klunker" gently to Xena's nose while repeating her potty phrase then giving her a treat. Others suggest using a treat to get the dog to touch your hand, then moving it so the dog touches the bell to get the treat.

5. Continue as needed until the dog knows to go ring the bell to be let out. I found with Xena that as long as I was consistent, her progress was very quick and she became reliable fast.

6. Once the dog has caught on to the bell, make sure that they only use it when they want to go out. If they go out and try to play around, bring them back in, because walks and romps are separate. I gave Xena one minute to get down to business. If she didn't, then we went in and if she really had to go, she'd go back to the door and go through the routine. Most boxers are smart enough so they will still try to pull a fast one sometimes - Xena always conveniently had to go out when our neighbor was in the hallway - but generally use it for it's intended purpose.

And of course the key to any successful training - When the dog does recognize all or part of the routine, praise them to high heaven! For extra motivation, treats for ringing the bell (along with potty treats) can help.

This post was contributed by Julia (BoxerWB).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:16:52 PM by Bers »
Amber

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
Re: Train your puppy to ring a bell
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
Great info!

I'm going to start Keenan on bell training this week :)

lucky8926

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
What age should this be started???
--Troy--
Proud parent of Tyson Cash DOB: 11/11/07

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »
We started at about 3 months, but I think it can be effective anytime.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
I think it works best when the pup has shown some sign that they are aware when they need to go - sometimes when they first come home, they seem to have no idea, it just sneaks up on them and then it's time to let fly  ::)

I didn't start Xena until 6 mos (when I finally heard about it!) and she caught on quickly.  Dash was 7 mos when we rescued him and he caught on well too.   I'm sure earlier would work even better!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »
I started a few days after we brought Knox home.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
I started right away with Phoebe, 11 weeks old.  I really don't think she had any idea why I touched her nose or paw to the bell everytime went went out to potty at first but I think in 2 weeks shewas ringing on her own.  And she still rings today at 16 mos for any reason she wants out.  Sometimes too many times a day for me...but I guess a better option than the other :yes:
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
I remember the first time Bruce just rang them on his own was SO exciting.  We were watching TV and we both jumped up telling him what a good boy he was.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
I find using the nose is better than the paw, they don't like to moving their limbs around much normally.  You also have to be sure to follow up with the "potty time only" reinforcement if you don't want an "all occasions" ringer  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
Well that sounds like a great idea Julia...but I did train her only to ring when she wanted out for potty.  She trained me to come running when she ran the bell.  So...I guess you can train an old dog (me) new tricks :smile:
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
She learned that she didn't have to ring the bell only to potty, and trained you accordingly  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

highdrama

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
I am going to start this as of now.  Poor Bria just doesn't know how to tell us, wee soul.  Henri never did, Mr Power Bladder can hold for 18 hours (did once cos he refused to do it on his own land - grrrr).  Anyhoo, cannot find the proper bell item you're meant to use, so I wondered whether a wind chime hanging from the door handle would be a good idea?  Only problem I can see (with any bell actually) is that it will ring whenever you open the door, not just for "hurry-ups".  Would that be a problem? 

I reckon whatever we do, Bria will cotton on pdq.  I forgot how clever a boxer pup is and how quickly they learn.

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
I use a cat toy in a sock tied with a shoe string. A wind chime would work well, but I bet it will be super fun too  ;)
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Gayle - Any noise maker will due, I actually used a plastic change purse and a couple of pennies w/Xena.  And the sound you make opening and closing the door is fairly different from the sound of wee Bria bonking it with her nose.  I promise they won't be mistaken for each other!

The problem most folks have is that at some point the pup catches on to being let out and will start doing it constantly just to go play. When that happens you just get strict - outside, potty, straight inside - no playing on potty trip!  They pick up on the difference quickly enough and generally only try to fool you on rare occasions  ;)  Xena would try to put one over on us if she heard her favorite neighbor passing by  ::)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

highdrama

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
LOL fun times ahead then!  She is pretty good at not mucking around outside so I will be firm.  Thank you.